'Walking Dead' renewed for season 4, showrunner quits

'Walking Dead' renewed for season 4, showrunner quits

Postby ntscuser » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:21 pm

The Walking Dead has been renewed for a fourth season, but Glen Mazzara is to step down as showrunner.

The AMC horror drama, based on a comic series, stars Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, Danai Gurira and Laurie Holden as survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Mazzara explained: "My time as showrunner on The Walking Dead has been an amazing experience, but after I finish season three, it's time to move on.

"I have told the stories I wanted to tell and connected with our fans on a level that I never imagined. It doesn't get much better than that.

"Thank you to everyone who has been a part of this journey."

In a statement on Mazzara's exit, AMC said: "Both parties acknowledge that there is a difference of opinion about where the show should go moving forward, and conclude that it is best to part ways.

"This decision is amicable and Glen will remain on for post-production [until the end of season three] as showrunner and executive producer."

Mazzara had served as showrunner following the abrupt departure of creator Frank Darabont early into the second season.

The Walking Dead's third season will return in 2013.
ntscuser
Site Admin

Re: 'Walking Dead' renewed for season 4, showrunner quits

Postby ntscuser » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Kurt Sutter slams AMC for Glen Mazzara 'Walking Dead' exit

Sons of Anarchy showrunner Kevin Sutter has slammed AMC over the network's handling of hit show The Walking Dead.

The network recently announced that showrunner Glen Mazzara will be stepping down from the series due to differences in opinion regarding the show's direction.

Deadline reports that Sutter, whose FX series is now in its fifth season, took to Twitter on Friday (December 21) to blast AMC for letting Mazzara go.

He tweeted: "AMC is run by small-minded, bottom-line thinkers who have no appreciation or gratitude for the effort of its creative personal (sic)."

Sutter criticised AMC for its "disrespect" to writers and viewers, adding: "Mazzara took the work-in-progress that was Walking Dead and turned it into a viable TV show with a future. Without him, that future is dim."

The Shield showrunner Shawn Ryan also damned AMC on the social networking site, adding: "AMC, WTF? Common knowledge that AMC cut Breaking Bad shorter than it should have been.

"Now you have creative differences w/ biggest hit's savior? With FX, Showtime, HBO, Starz, Cinemax, A&E, TNT and others to sell to, it's a real question now why good show runners should sell to AMC?"
ntscuser
Site Admin

Return to Sci-fi/Fantasy