Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:21 pm
Boldly going forward to beat Star Trek Beyond to number one
Matt Damon officially has another huge hit movie to his name after Jason Bourne shot to the top of the US box office this week.
The fifth movie in the Bourne franchise took an impressive $60m in its first week, knocking Star Trek Beyond off the top spot.
Jason Bourne follows the hugely successful '00s action trilogy of The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum, plus Jeremy Renner's The Bourne Legacy, which was… slightly less successful.
Star Trek Beyond lives long and prospers in second place, while Mila Kunis and Kristen Bell's new comedy Bad Moms is new at 3 with $23m.
The Secret Life of Pets is down two places to 4, and Ice Age: Collision Course, the fifth movie in the series, is down to 6.
Ghostbusters - which opened to a mixed reception from critics - is at 7, and Paul Feig's female-fronted reboot is just one spot above new entry Nerve.
Disney sequel Finding Dory is at 9, and The Legend of Tarzan swings down to tenth place with $2.4m.
The top ten in full is as follows:
1. (-) Jason Bourne - $60,000,000
2. (1) Star Trek Beyond - $24,000,000
3. (-) Bad Moms - $23,400,000
4. (2) The Secret Life of Pets - $18,210,000
5. (3) Lights Out - $10,810,000
6. (4) Ice Age: Collision Course - $10,500,000
7. (5) Ghostbusters - $9,800,000
8. (-) Nerve - $9,000,000
9. (6) Finding Dory - $4,220,000
10. (9) The Legend of Tarzan- $2,405,000