Coventry-Victor Motor Company

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Coventry-Victor Motor Company

Postby rebbonk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:20 am

I stumbled on this whilst looking for something completely different! A company I'd never heard of before. Check out the clickables on the right of the page.

Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Coventry-Victor Motor Company

Postby pollyanna » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:55 am

Another fascinating piece of Coventry history that you've managed to find Rebbonk !!!!

I've never heard of them either - thanks for posting :thumbsup:
pollyanna

Postby dutchman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:41 pm

pollyanna wrote:Another fascinating piece of Coventry history that you've managed to find Rebbonk !!!!

I've never heard of them either - thanks for posting :thumbsup:
You may not have heard of them Polly but you have probably seen their factory. It was located in Pool Meadow behind the buildings in Ford Street very close the Midland Red bus stops and the factory was still in use up until the mid-1960s.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rojwhittle » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:17 am

The Coventry Victor factory was, in the 60s, Pool Meadow. They ceased car production in the thirties I think. There was nothing on the factory to say Coventry Victor, but a large sign saying "Victor Vibrationless". They latterly made a range of flat twin and flat four stationary engines of good design. They were much favoured for boats and still are.
In the death throes of the company, they moved to Willenhall, and the current Weaver company is mainly for spares and repairs. During the early sixties, Coventry Victor had a clocking in machine just by the entrance, which was identical to the one at Harry Ferguson Research, where I was an apprentice. It was not unknown for HFR apprentices to have a day in town on the pop and clock in at Coventry Victor. I never did, of course.
rojwhittle

Return to Local History