Marooned Bedworth residents say 'we are stuck' amid major flooding and roadworks

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Marooned Bedworth residents say 'we are stuck' amid major flooding and roadworks

Postby dutchman » Sat Feb 07, 2026 2:46 am

Those who live in Dove Close and Woodlands Lane have effectively been stranded

Image

Residents say 'we are stuck' as major flooding and roadworks left them stranded in their homes in Bedworth. Those living in Dove Close and Woodlands Lane have found themselves blocked in this morning, Friday, February 6.

It was due to flooding on Woodlands Lane combined with Warwickshire County Council-approved roadworks. One local contacted CoventryLive to say: "We are effectively blocked in. There is major flooding and also the county council has approved works during the wettest months of the year,

"The road from Wodlands Lane is closed for planned electricity works within no through route, most residents will not drive through the flood as we have seen the devastating effects it can have on vehicles, therefore we are stranded in Dove Close until they can open the road."

The resident went on: "We have logged this issue however we are being told that it wont be until later today that we can have some safe access out of the close. We are all hoping nobody needs any emergency services this morning as they will not be able to access us."

The resident claimed the situation this morning added to their fears about even worse flooding when 150 homes are built in the area. Despite initially refusing the application for homes on land off Woodland Lane, Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council decided not to defend its decision when the refusal was taken to appeal.

As a result, an independent inspector over-ruled the council's decision and planning permission was granted for the Arbury Estate proposal to demolish the existing Woodlands Farmhouse and agricultural buildings and the erection of up to 150 residential dwellings.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/marooned-bedworth-residents-say-we-33375499
User avatar
dutchman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 57933
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:24 am
Location: Spon End

Re: Marooned Bedworth residents say 'we are stuck' amid major flooding and roadworks

Postby dutchman » Wed Feb 11, 2026 7:55 pm

New houses could worsen floods, fear residents

Image

People living in Bedworth said they don't feel listened to, after outline planning for 150 houses was approved on land that is known to flood.

The plans, from housebuilder Taylor Wimpey, are proposed for the Bedworth Woodlands area, which often sees roads shut, fields flooded and people being rescued from stranded cars.

According to the Environment Agency, the earmarked land, on Woodlands Lane, is in flood zone three - an area with a high probability of flooding.

Residents and one councillor are worried about the impact on an area already affected by surface water. Taylor Wimpey say the flood risk has been evaluated for the plans, which are backed by Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council.

Councillor Martin Walsh [pictured above] said the mitigation put in place for the plans would not be sufficient for the amount of water in the area.

"The area quite consistently gets flooded. I've lived in Bedworth since 1987. Putting the homes on this field is a bad move," he said.

"We're losing more green space and the infrastructure in this area would not take it.

"The road constantly gets blocked with traffic, it's not suitable for heavy good vehicles. There'll be a minimum of 300 cars - the traffic will increase dramatically."

But Taylor Wimpey aid the risk of flooding had been "thoroughly assessed" and the approved flood risk assessment said the development would not increase the risk on or off site.

However Karl Mayer, who has lived in the area for 45 years, said he thinks the plans will be a "disaster".

He said the road had been closed around 30 times in the last five years due to flooding.

"[There is] no benefit for local residents whatsoever," he said.

"If you turn all the fields into concrete, everything will run down towards the nook - it might be the levy that breaks the camels back. I'm very worried the plans will be approved."

A spokesperson for Taylor Wimpey said concerns were carefully considered, and that a flood risk had been comprehensively evaluated.

The flood risk assessment has been approved by the local authority, they said, and a site-specific drainage design has also been completed.

"We recognise the flooding concerns currently affecting the community of Bedworth," the spokesperson said.

"We are committed to ensuring that our proposed development at Woodlands Road does not increase flood risk to the local area.

"We continue to work closely with the relevant authorities in order to deliver a development which will provide much-needed housing, whilst not increasing any flood risk to the local area."

:bbc_news:
User avatar
dutchman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 57933
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:24 am
Location: Spon End


Return to News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

  • Ads