Petition for demolition of 'unsafe' Atherstone hat factory...

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Petition for demolition of 'unsafe' Atherstone hat factory...

Postby dutchman » Thu Dec 12, 2024 4:51 am

North Warwickshire Borough Council said it had carried out work to make the building safe

Image

A petition has been created calling for a derelict building in Warwickshire to be demolished "without further delay".

Residents described how part of the Britannia Mill in Atherstone blew down at the weekend due to the strong winds of Storm Darragh.

Rhona Millard said it was the second time in about18 months part of the building on Coleshill Road had fallen into the street.

North Warwickshire Borough Council said its building control service undertook "extensive work" at the site over the weekend to make the building safe.

The site currently has planning permission for around 70 apartments with extra-care provisions.

The BBC has contacted HTC Homes, believed to be the owners, for comment.

The Hat Factory, as it is locally known, closed in 1999, ending the town's long history as a major centre for the British hatting industry.

It is believed that Tommy Cooper's famous fez was made there.

Since the factory's closure, the Grade II listed building has stood empty.

More than 290 people have signed the petition calling for it to be demolished immediately.

Julie Nicholls wrote: "It's completely unsafe and only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt."

Ms Millard said she walked along the path just 15 minutes before the debris fell.

She said, had she been much later: "It would have been death... with that coming down on you".

The council said it would consider further action once it had carried out further demolition work and then completed a building inspection.

"That will include discussions with the owner," a spokesperson added.

The demolition work is scheduled on Wednesday, with Coleshill Road to be closed to traffic.

The authority confirmed planning permission and listed building consent for the site allowed "significant demolition" with retention of "historic and architectural characteristics".

It added the owner's contractors would also visit later in the week.

:bbc_news:
User avatar
dutchman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 59058
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Re: Petition for demolition of 'unsafe' Atherstone hat factory...

Postby dutchman » Thu Dec 12, 2024 4:52 am

It's the old story of deliberately neglecting a historic building until it becomes 'unsafe' then using that as an excuse to pull it down. :fuming:
User avatar
dutchman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 59058
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Re: Petition for demolition of 'unsafe' Atherstone hat factory...

Postby dutchman » Mon May 11, 2026 11:47 pm

End date for demolition of historic Atherstone Hat Factory confirmed

Image

An end date has been revealed for the demolition of Atherstone's historic Hat Factory. It stood empty for more than 20 years and had been targeted by trespassers and vandals in recent years.

Then, back in December 2024, bricks from the former factory tumbled into the street and it started to collapse in the wake of Storm Darragh winds.

It led to the street being closed off and emergency work to secure the building. Following this, partial demolition of the damaged former Britannia Works building took place.

The full demolition started earlier this year and now it has been confirmed that the demolition of the historic building should be finished by June.

In its place it set to be a new Extra Care scheme with 70 new apartments for those aged 55 and over, following planning permission being given the go-ahead for the facility.

Midlands-based Deeley Construction and leading not-for-profit Extra Care and Retirement Living provider Housing 21 are behind the plan at what was officially known as Britannia Mill.

In a statement, the firms said that demolition is expected to complete by early June, with construction of the new Extra Care scheme beginning the following month.

It has been confirmed that a partial canal closure will remain in place for the duration of demolition works to ensure public safety.

Eleanor Deeley, Joint Managing Director at Deeley Group, said: “After many years of waiting, demolition of the existing unsafe, derelict buildings, marks the start of a new beginning for the sight which be brought back into active use for the first time in many years.

“This major milestone would not have been possible without the support and tenacity of North Warwickshire Borough Council and the Canal & River Trust.

"They have truly gone the extra mile, and the combination of their commitment and our expertise in overcoming complex technical and logistical challenges has brought us to this stage.”

Housing 21 acquired the site after Deeley Group sealed a deal with the landowner and Ash Round, delivery development manager, added: "We’re pleased to see progress at the former Britannia Works site in Atherstone, marking an important step in bringing this development forward.

“This site will bring much-needed Extra Care housing for people aged 55 and over, with high-quality accessible apartments designed to support independent living with care available on-site.

"The scheme will create a welcoming community, with communal facilities that residents and visitors can enjoy, and a dedicated on-site manager to support day-to-day life. It’s an important step in providing safe, supportive homes for the local community."

Image
User avatar
dutchman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 59058
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End


Return to Local History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

  • Ads
cron