Spider-man devours Despicable Me at the US box office

Spider-man devours Despicable Me at the US box office

Postby ntscuser » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Spider-Man: Homecoming beats US box office expectations

Proving that despite the franchise fatigue derailing the last attempt to bring him back, Spider-Man can still deliver when handled properly, Spider-Man: Homecoming has launched with a a healthy $117 million opening in the States alone, according to studio estimates.

Knowing to stay well clear of the Marvel juggernaut (even if the studio only had a smaller part to play here), there were no competing wide releases. Which meant that most of the rest of the top 10 just shunted down one spot. Despicable Me 3 moved to second with $33.9 million (the franchise has made more than $3 billion collectively at this point), while Baby Driver was pushed to third on $12.7 million. Wonder Woman stayed in place at fourth, adding $10.1 million for a $368.7 million US total so far. And in fifth place was Transformers: The Last Knight, which earned $6.3 million, but is still seemingly relying on foreign business to keep it motoring along.

Sixth place went to Cars 3, which made $5.6 million, while comedy The House continued to disappoint, falling one place to seventh and $4.8 million. Hit indie comedy The Big Sick added screens and made the leap from 12th place to eighth, taking in $3.6 million and bringing its Stateside total to $6.9 million.

Ninth was shark thriller 47 Meters Down, which mustered $2.84 million, just ahead of The Beguiled, which earned $2 million in 10th place.

Check out the July 7-9 box office figures below:

1 – Spider-Man: Homecoming – $117 million
2 – Despicable Me 3 – $34 million
3 – Baby Driver – $12.7 million
4 – Wonder Woman – $10.1 million
5 – Transformers: The Last Knight – $6.3 million
6 – Cars 3 – $5.6 million
7 – The House – $4.8 million
8 – The Big Sick – $3.7 million
9 – 47 Meters Down – $2.8 million
10 – The Beguiled – $2.1 million
ntscuser