'Weeds' new season planned as a finale

'Weeds' new season planned as a finale

Postby ntscuser » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Weeds executive producer Roberto Benabib has said that the show's upcoming seventh season is being planned to work as a potential final season of the long-running series.

Showrunner Jenji Kohan sparked speculation this week that Weeds may be cancelled at the end of the new season after revealing that her contract had yet to be renewed.

"My deal's up. This is my baby but who knows," Kohan told Entertainment Weekly. "But as far as I know, we don't have a deal for season eight."

Benabib added that the seventh season's ending will serve as potential "closure" to the series, as well as hinting at things to come if Showtime orders a renewal.

"We're crafting a season finale that can stand up on its own as a series finale if it has to or be a prelude to an eighth season essentially," Benabib explained to The Hollywood Reporter. "I think what you'll see in the finale is obviously some closure to certain things, but you'll also see great potential if there should be a season eight."

Benabib also explained that the ever-changing nature of Weeds meant that it would be relatively easy to continue with an eighth season even if the renewal comes after the finale airs.

"Certainly every two or three seasons you're getting a completely different show," he continued. "The only constant in this is of course Nancy, her kids, and Andy."

The seventh season of Weeds picks up three years after the cliffhanger ending of season six, following Nancy Botwin's release from prison in New York City.

Weeds returns on Showtime on June 27.
ntscuser
Site Admin

Return to Drama