‘Killing Eve’ renewed for season 3 with new showrunner

‘Killing Eve’ renewed for season 3 with new showrunner

Postby ntscuser » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:56 am

Well, that didn’t take long

Coming off its season 2 premiere yesterday, BBC America has officially renewed “Killing Eve” for a third season. In addition to the show’s renewal, AMC Networks President of Entertainment, Sarah Barnett, also announced that the third season would be continuing the show’s unique tradition of passing the torch over to a new female showrunner each season.

The show’s creator, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, passed the lead writing duties over to Emerald Fennell for the show’s second season, and Fennell will now be handing the same duties over to Suzanne Heathcote (“Fear the Walking Dead”) for season 3. Heathcote will serve as the lead writer and showrunner/executive producer for the new season.

“I’m very excited that the ‘Killing Eve’ baton is being passed onto another incredible writer for season three. We can sleep soundly knowing these characters are safe in Suzanne Heathcote’s hilariously murderous hands,” said Waller-Bridge.

“It’s been such an exciting year for me on ‘Killing Eve.’ I think it’s cool that this tradition has been built into this untraditional show. Inheriting some of Phoebe’s characters was a treat – I can’t wait to see what Suzanne does next,” added Fennell.

Based on novellas by Luke Jennings, the series stars Sandra Oh as an intelligent MI6 operative and Jodie Comer as the skilled assassin she’s tasked with tracking down, and follows the pair as their lives become inextricably linked in a series of increasingly violent and unexpected events.

A massive critical success, “Killing Eve” pulled off a rare feat throughout its first season, and achieved a consistent weekly ratings growth in the adults 25-54 and 18-49 demos – something no other series has managed to do in the Nielsen Live +3 ratings.

“We love having this show and the brilliant Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer and Fiona Shaw on our networks,” Barnett said. “Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Emerald Fennell have delivered two addictively entertaining seasons. As we did last year, we’re renewing ‘Killing Eve’ right out of the gate, now with Suzanne Heathcote as lead writer, as a sign of confidence — we adore this show as much as our fans do. ‘Killing Eve’ doesn’t do anything in a templated way; we love giving opportunity to three genius women to make their mark.”
ntscuser
Site Admin

Return to Drama