‘Mr. Robot’ officially ending with its fourth season on USA

‘Mr. Robot’ officially ending with its fourth season on USA

Postby ntscuser » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:45 pm

USA is saying goodbye to one of its most critically-acclaimed series

It has been officially announced this morning by the network that “Mr. Robot” will be ending with its upcoming fourth season. According to THR, the season – which is set to make its premiere next year – has also been given an expanded 12-episode order. “Mr. Robot” creator, Sam Esmail, commented on the announcement with the following:

“When I first created the world of Mr. Robot, I thought it would be a niche television series with a small, cult following. Over the past three years, it has become so much more, and I am continually humbled by the show’s recognition and by the amazing cast and crew that work tirelessly to help bring my vision to life.

Since day one, I’ve been building toward one conclusion — and in breaking the next season of Mr. Robot, I have decided that conclusion is finally here. Everyone on the creative team, including the amazing people at USA and UCP, didn’t want to say goodbye, but we ultimately have too much respect for Elliot’s journey to extend past its inevitable ending. Therefore, season four will serve as the final chapter of the Mr. Robot story. To fans of the show: thank you for the past three years, and I can’t wait to share this exciting final season with you.”

The series, which premiered in summer 2015, was an instant hit in critical circles, and has been on the receiving end of consistent awards nominations throughout the years, along with a Best Lead Actor win for star Rami Malek in 2016. Despite its critical achievements, though, the series has never been much of a ratings hit for the network.

After averaging a solid 0.5 live + same day rating for itself and 1.39 million average viewers throughout its first season, the series experienced a noticeable sophomore slump in its second season, falling two-tenths from its previous 0.5 to a 0.3 average. Its third season continued the trend last year, averaging another tenth lower with a 0.2 and 529,000 viewers.

Today’s news also comes just a few weeks after USA canceled “Shooter,” which is in the midst of finishing its third (and final) season, and the sci-fi drama “Colony,” which had similarly rounded out its third season on the network this year.

The fourth and final season of “Mr. Robot” is set to premiere on USA sometime in 2019.
ntscuser
Site Admin

Return to Drama