‘The Orville’ moves to Hulu for third season

‘The Orville’ moves to Hulu for third season

Postby ntscuser » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:43 am

“The Orville” has found a new home

The sci-fi series from Seth MacFarlane, which was renewed for a third season by FOX in May, will be the latest TV title to make the transition from a network to a streaming service. Appearing at San Diego Comic-Con, MacFarlane announced that the show’s previously-announced third season will not be airing on FOX like the first two seasons, but will instead be airing on Hulu.

MacFarlane explained that the show’s increasingly ambitious production demands would make it impossible for the third season to air on FOX in a traditionally timely manner, resulting in the move to a streaming service with more relaxed deadlines. The third season will reportedly premiere on Hulu in late 2020.

“‘The Orville’ has been a labor of love for me, and there are two companies which have supported that vision in a big way: 20th Century Fox Television, where I’ve had a deal since the start of my career, and Fox Broadcasting Co., now Fox Entertainment, which has been my broadcast home for over 20 years,” said MacFarlane. “My friends at the network understood what I was trying to do with this series, and they’ve done a spectacular job of marketing, launching and programming it for these past two seasons.”

“But as the show has evolved and become more ambitious production-wise, I determined that I would not be able to deliver episodes until 2020, which would be challenging for the network. So, we began to discuss how best to support the third season in a way that worked for the show. It’s exactly this kind of willingness to accommodate a show’s creative needs that’s made me want to stick around for so long.”

“I am hugely indebted to Charlie Collier and Fox Entertainment for their generosity and look forward to developing future projects there. And to my new friends at Hulu, I look forward to our new partnership exploring the galaxy together.”

“Fox Entertainment has been a fantastic home for ‘The Orville’ and their willingness to support the show’s move to Hulu is incredibly appreciated; they really are great partners to us on so many shows and this is one more example. We’re thrilled as a studio to find this creative solution which is so meaningful to Seth and keeps the show on track to continue entertaining its millions of fans,” added Carolyn Cassidy, President of Creative Affairs at 20th Century Fox Television.
ntscuser
Site Admin

Return to Sci-fi/Fantasy