The Phantom Empire (1935)

The Phantom Empire (1935)

Postby GenreOnline.net » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:30 pm

The Phantom Empire is a 1935 American Western serial film directed by Otto Brower and B. Reeves Eason and starring Gene Autry, Frankie Darro, and Betsy King Ross. This 12-chapter Mascot Pictures serial combined the Western, musical and science-fiction genres. The first episode is 30 minutes, the rest about 20 minutes. The serial film is about a singing cowboy who stumbles upon an ancient subterranean civilization living beneath his own ranch that becomes corrupted by unscrupulous greedy speculators from the surface. In 1940, a 70-minute feature film edited from the serial was released under the titles Radio Ranch or Men with Steel Faces. This was Gene Autry's first starring role, playing himself as a singing cowboy. It is considered to be the first science-fiction Western.

Soundtrack

"Uncle Noah's Ark" (Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette, Nick Manoloff) by Gene Autry and band (chapter 1)
"That Silver-Haired Daddy of Mine" (Gene Autry, Jimmy Long) by Gene Autry and band (chapter 1)
"I'm Oscar, I'm Pete" (Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette) by Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette, and William Moore (chapter 2)
"No Need to Worry" (Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette) by the Radio Rangers (chapter 4)
"Uncle Henry" (Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette) by Gene Autry (chapter 4)
"I'm Getting a Moon's Eye View of the World" (Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette) by Gene Autry (chapter 8)
"My Cross Eyed Gal" (Gene Autry, Jimmy Long) by the Radio Rangers (chapter 8)
"Just Come On Back" (Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette) by the Radio Rangers (chapter 8)[1][10]

The 1979 television series Cliffhangers, which attempted to recreate the old movie serial feel by showing three serial chapters in each episode, included a serial titled "The Secret Empire", a pastiche of The Phantom Empire. Events in the underground empire were shown in color, but events on the surface were "in glorious black and white".

GenreOnline.net

Re: The Phantom Empire (1935)

Postby GenreOnline.net » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:28 am

The Phantom Empire With Feature Length Audio Commentary By Mark Rivera

GenreOnline.net

Return to Streaming Movies