Wed May 23, 2018 12:25 pm
FOX announced its schedule for 2018-19 last week without having made a decision on first-year comedy “LA to Vegas”
The decision came late Monday, and it wasn’t favorable. The network has canceled the show after a single season on the air.
FOX executives said a week ago that “LA to Vegas” was still in play but needed to pitch something that would make a big splash to open a potential second season.
“If we have a great opportunity and a big, eventized first episode, that’s a show we would order, FOX chairman and CEO Dana Walden said at the time. “If we can’t figure out a way to really make some noise with it and attract a new and bigger group of viewers, we probably won’t do it.”
Things apparently tilted to the “can’t” side of the ledger in the past week, leading to the show’s end.
FOX has now dumped all but one of the live-action comedies it aired in 2017-18. The remaining show, “Ghosted,” hasn’t been on the air since January and will complete its season in the summer. Walden said the network would wait to see how the remaining episodes perform before making a call.
“LA to Vegas” averaged a 0.7 rating among adults 18-49 and 2.31 million viewers for initial airings. It improved to 1.2 and 3.49 million with a week of delayed viewing.
Ratings for the show were on par with those of the other FOX comedies that were canceled this season: “The Mick,” “The Last Man on Earth” and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” the latter of which was picked up by NBC soon after FOX canceled it.