Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:19 pm
It didn't have enough "traction" and ratings to justify another year
In a late-night shocker, The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore has been cancelled by Comedy Central after 18 months due to low ratings.
The Wrap reports that around 100 staff and crew were told today (August 15) and that the final show will air this Thursday (August 18).
"It is really sad for us because we not only respect and value Larry, we really have such affection for him and what he's been doing. Unfortunately, it hasn't been translating to our audience," said Comedy Central President Kent Alterman.
Alterman added that Wilmore has been a "gentleman" about the news and that the cancellation is due to the show not having enough "traction" to justify another year, and has nothing to do with Wilmore's controversial Correspondents Dinner performance.
"I'm really grateful to Comedy Central, Jon Stewart, and our fans to have had this opportunity," noted Wilmore in a statement.
"But I'm also saddened and surprised we won't be covering this crazy election or 'The Unblackening' as we've coined it. And keeping it 100, I guess I hadn't counted on 'The Unblackening' happening to my time slot as well."
The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore will initially be replaced by Chris Hardwick's @midnight, which will be followed by a prime-time repeat.
Earlier this year, US president Barack Obama and the White House defended Wilmore over his Correspondents Dinner speech, which saw him use the 'n-word' in wrapping up his routine.