James Cameron blasts 'Harry Potter' 3D "mistake"

James Cameron blasts 'Harry Potter' 3D "mistake"

Postby ntscuser » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 am

James Cameron has blasted Warner Bros over its failed attempt to convert Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 into 3D.

Addressing the issue of Warners' rushed efforts to produce a retro-fitted version of Deathly Hallows, Cameron said that the studio was repeating the same mistakes they made with Clash Of The Titans.

"I maintain you can't do a good conversion of a two-hour movie with high quality in a few weeks like they tried to do with Clash Of The Titans," the BBC quotes him as saying.

"I don't mean to throw that movie under the bus because my buddy Sam [Worthington, from Avatar] is in it, but I think everybody realised that this was a point at which people had gone too far."

Cameron, speaking at the Blu-Con event in Beverly Hills, added: "You see another stumble with the most recent Harry Potter movie from the same studio making the same mistake - except really getting spanked for it now because they didn't get the film done.

"They announced it in 3D - threw a bunch of money trying to convert it to 3D in post-production and it simply didn't work. They just didn't get it done."

Cameron stated his belief that post-conversion "should be used for one thing and one thing only - which is to take library titles that are favourites that are proven, and convert them into 3D - whether it's Jaws or ET or Indiana Jones, Close Encounters... or Titanic.

Warner Bros is still moving ahead with plans to release Deathly Hallows: Part 2 in 3D, and is expected to release a dimensionalised version of Part 1 at a later date.
ntscuser
Site Admin

Return to Cinema