James Cameron: 'Piranha 3D is bottom of the barrel'

James Cameron: 'Piranha 3D is bottom of the barrel'

Postby ntscuser » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:18 am

James Cameron has blasted the Piranha remake, claiming that it has cheapened the 3D medium.

Speaking to Vanity Fair, Cameron - who was dismissed from the director's chair for Piranha Part Two: The Spawning in the early '80s - admitted that he had "zero" nostalgic feelings for Alexandre Aja's 3D reworking.

"You’ve got to remember: I worked on Piranha 2 for a few days and got fired off of it; I don't put it on my official filmography," he said. "So there's no sort of fond connection for me whatsoever."

Cameron continued: "I tend almost never to throw other films under the bus, but [Piranha 3D] is exactly an example of what we should not be doing in 3D. Because it just cheapens the medium and reminds you of the bad 3D horror films from the '70s and '80s, like Friday The 13th 3D.

"When movies got to the bottom of the barrel of their creativity and at the last gasp of their financial lifespan, they did a 3D version to get the last few drops of blood out of the turnip. And that's not what's happening now with 3D."

Cameron, whose blockbuster Avatar returned to cinemas last weekend with 9 minutes of additional footage, reiterated his belief that the future of Hollywood filmmaking lies in 3D.

"It is a renaissance - right now the biggest and the best films are being made in 3D," he explained. "Martin Scorsese is making a film in 3D. Disney's biggest film of the year - Tron Legacy - is coming out in 3D. So it's a whole new ballgame."
ntscuser
Site Admin

Return to Cinema