Despicable Me beats Baby Driver at the US box office

Despicable Me beats Baby Driver at the US box office

Postby ntscuser » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Those beloved minions have topped the charts again

It's a big yellow victory for the minions this weekend, as Despicable Me 3 has won the US weekend box office battle.

Illumination and Universal's animation opened to $75.4 million, making it the biggest hitter by a long way despite falling short of studio estimates, according to Variety.

New entry Baby Driver has also made its mark on the US box office, having earned $30 million since opening for previews last Tuesday (June 27), with $21 million coming from its opening weekend totals.

Meanwhile, the latest in the long-running Transformers franchise, The Last Knight, is in third place after earning $17 million during its second weekend.

It's a pretty stark drop for the film, which stars Mark Wahlberg and opened last week to a franchise low opening week total.

Rounding out this week's top five is Wonder Woman, which has been smashing records all over the place and took another $16.1 million, and Disney and Pixar's Cars 3, which finishes up its third week of release with a $9.5 million total.

It's not such good news for Amy Poehler and Will Ferrell's new release The House, which debuted at number six this weekend and earned just $9 million.

Check out the June 30 – July 2 box office figures below:

1 – Despicable Me 3 – $75.4 million
2 – Baby Driver – $21 million
3 – Transformers: Last Knight – $17 million
4 – Wonder Woman – $15.6 million
5 – Cars 3 – $9.5 million
6 – The House – $9 million
7 – 47 Meters Down – $4.7 million
8 – The Beguiled – $3.3 million
9 – The Mummy – $2.8 million
10 – Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales – $2.4 million
ntscuser