Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:37 pm
The monster movie has made a massive $61 million over its opening weekend
Kong: Skull Island has rampaged right to the top of the US box office this weekend, swiping Hugh Jackman's final Wolverine outing Logan aside.
Kong brought in a massive $61 million over its opening weekend, beating its box office estimates of $45-$50 million nicely, Variety reports.
Logan, which is in its second weekend of release, scooped up another $37.9 million to hold onto second place in the rankings and bringing its total US earnings to $152.6 million.
Elsewhere in the US box office, low-budget thriller and surprise box office success Get Out is in the number three position.
The film, about a black man whose visit to his white girlfriend's home town goes horrifyingly wrong, racked up $21.1 million this week for a total US gross of $111 million.
The top five is completed by faith-based drama The Shack at No. 4, which grossed $10.1 million, and animated comedy The LEGO Batman Movie, which earned another $7.8 million in its fifth week of release.
Here's this week's top ten films at the US box office in full:
1. (-) Kong: Skull Island - $61,015,000
2. (1) Logan - $37,850,000
3. (2) Get Out - $21,072,600
4. (3) The Shack - $10,050,000
5. (4) The LEGO Batman Movie - $7,820,000
6. (6) Before I Fall - $3,107,910
7. (7) Hidden Figures - $2,765,000
8. (5) John Wick: Chapter Two - $2,700,000
9. (10) La La Land - $1,770,000
10. (9) Fifty Shades Darker - $1,629,250