Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:46 pm
Star Wars: The Force Awakens has, unsurprisingly, debuted at number 1 in the US box office with a colossal $238m.
The opening weekend total is the highest ever achieved in the US, beating the record set by 2015's Jurassic World ($208m).
The film was far, far ahead of the competition, with Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip way off in the number 2 spot with $14.4m.
Meanwhile, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's comedy Sisters is new at 3 with $13.4m, while last week's number 1 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 is down to 4 with $5.6m.
Creed is at 5 with $5m, The Good Dinosaur is at 6 with $4.3m and Krampus is at 7 with $3.7m.
In the Heart of the Sea is at 8 with $3.4m and Dilwale is at 9 with $1.8m.
Finally, Bajiro Mastani rounds out the top ten with $1.6m.
The US top ten movies in full:
1. (-) Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 - $238,000,00
2. (-) Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip- $14,400,000
3. (-) Sisters - $13,420,000
4. (1) Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 - $5,650,000
5. (4) Creed - $5,085,000
6. (3) The Good Dinosaur - $4,305,000
7. (5) Krampus - £3,780,000
8. (2) In the Heart of the Sea - $3,465,000
9. (-) Dilwale - £1,875,000
10. (-) Bajiro Mastani- £1,660,000