Ann Curry confirms 'Today' departure

Ann Curry confirms 'Today' departure

Postby ntscuser » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:49 am

Ann Curry has announced that she will be leaving NBC's Today.

The journalist confirmed persistent rumours that she is being replaced as Matt Lauer's co-anchor on Thursday (June 28)'s Today episode.

"This is not how I expected to leave this couch after 15 years, but I am so grateful," Curry tearfully told viewers.

NBC announced on Thursday that Curry will continue on the network as an anchor at large and national and international correspondent for Today.

Today executive producer Jim Bell paid tribute to Curry, saying: "I know of only one journalist who in just a matter of years has travelled to Sudan six times, broken exclusive world news with top world leaders, and broadcast live from both the South Pole and Mount Kilimanjaro.

"Ann has quite literally reached amazing heights in her career, and with this new role, she will continue her intrepid climb bringing viewers her signature brand of humanitarian reporting."

Lauer also recognised Curry's contributions to Today on Thursday (June 28)'s edition of the morning show, saying that she has "the biggest heart in the business".

"You put that on display every single day for almost 20 years. Most importantly, you've made us better, and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts," Lauer told Curry.

Curry joined Today in March 1997 as the show's news anchor and later replaced Meredith Vieira as co-anchor in 2011.

Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb have been tipped as likely replacements for Curry.
ntscuser
Site Admin

Re: Ann Curry confirms 'Today' departure

Postby ntscuser » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Savannah Guthrie to replace Ann Curry as new co-anchor of 'Today'

Savannah Guthrie has been named as the new co-anchor of NBC's Today.

The announcement comes shortly after Ann Curry gave her tearful goodbye on the morning show on Thursday, June 28.

Guthrie joined Today in June 2011 as the co-host of the third hour and the chief legal analyst.

Earlier today, she filled in as the co-anchor alongside Matt Lauer, but she is set to make her official debut with the new team - Lauer, Al Roker and Natalie Morales - on Monday, July 9.

Today's executive producer Jim Bell said: "As soon as Savannah joined NBC News she was a standout, reporting for every franchise in the news division and rising through the ranks.

"She has a one-of-a-kind combination of sharp wit and approachability, and our viewers value her journalistic skills and legal background just as much as her humour and charm.

"She can effortlessly go from interviewing the Secretary of State to jumping Olympic-sized hurdles on the plaza.

"I'm thrilled to welcome Savannah as our newest co-anchor, and along with Matt, Al and Natalie, we've got the best morning team in the business."
ntscuser
Site Admin

Return to Other