Swimmers left without clothes after locker system crash at The Wave

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Swimmers left without clothes after locker system crash at The Wave

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:11 pm

One man said staff had to smash their way into the lockers with screwdrivers

Swimmers at the city's £36.7 million water park say staff had to smash their way into lockers after a system failure left their clothes and valuables trapped.

The Wave's electronic locker system crashed on Saturday, January 4, leaving people unable to open their lockers with their wristband.

One man who was visiting the water park - which only opened in October last year - with his children described the situation as "absolute chaos".

He said staff had had to smash their way into the lockers with screwdrivers and hand out foil blankets to those waiting in their swimsuits.

Stuart Jackson was at The Wave with his children Violet, 12, and seven-year-old Olivia when the system went down.

Stuart, who is a divisional director for traffic management and also a parish councillor in Warwickshire, said: "As we were heading out of the park to the changing rooms after our session to get dry and dressed, all of the water went off.

"We went back into the changing room and had only opened one of our three lockers when the whole system went down.

"Nobody could get into the lockers as the wristbands weren't working - and you could see on the screen that the system was trying to re-boot itself.

"After a while, it turned out that the locker system wasn't going to re-boot.

"People had been standing in their swimsuits for ages, soaking wet and were getting cold."

Stuart told CoventryLive he had to try and keep his girls warm in a changing room.

He added: "Luckily, they bought out some foil blankets so my children had one of those each. I'm glad they handed those out.

"Eventually, a member of staff started going round and forcing people's lockers open with a screwdriver. There were rivets and all sorts going on the floor, which by this point was just so dirty after all the people had been waiting around.

"I picked some of the rivets off the floor after standing on one, because I didn't want people to end up hurting their feet."

A session at the water park also had to be cancelled.

A spokesman for The Wave say staff "followed procedures" to release the lockers, and those affected would be refunded.

They added that they had worked with their technology partners to ensure it "will not happen again".

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Swimmers left without clothes after locker system crash at The Wave

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:03 pm

Yet another CCC c*ck-up.

Anyone with any real-world experience would foresee this particular issue! :fuming:

Remind me why we continue to employ idiots at the council?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to News