Some of your bins may not be collected today in Coventry

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Some of your bins may not be collected today in Coventry

Postby dutchman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:43 pm

A notice has been posted on the city council website

Residents in Coventry may not get their bins collected today - just days after Christmas.

With bins no doubt flowing with Christmas rubbish, it isn't a great time for things to go wrong with bin collections.

But, today - Monday December 30 - Coventry City Council is experiencing "operational issues".

This means those due for a bin collection today may need to wait a little longer.

The advice from the council is to leave the bins out and they'll return "as soon as possible".

A notice on the council's website said: "We are currently experiencing operational issues. If you are due to have a collection today, Monday 30 December, and it is not completed, please leave your bins presented and we will return as soon as possible."

A spokesman for Coventry City Council said: “We have experienced some operational issues today which means that some bins that were due to be collected have been missed.

"We apologise for the inconvenience and ask residents to please leave their bins out and we’ll be back to collected them as soon as possible.

"The disruption will mainly affect recycling collections although a small number of domestic rounds are affected."

They added that they don’t have any further information at the moment.

Every year the same! :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Some of your bins may not be collected today in Coventry

Postby 20A-Manor House » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:43 pm

My green bin was emptied this morning.
20A-Manor House

Postby rebbonk » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Anyone expect CCC to be able to run a p*ss up in a brewery?

If personnel don't turn up for work, the answer is dismissal. Sadly, CCC doesn't have the gonads to take this line of action.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:31 pm

I missed the previous collection due to a mix up over the date so I've been waiting a whole month to be emptied. That wasn't such a problem when they did weekly collections. Also they failed to deliver any extra bags or schedule calenders before Xmas around here.

The advice from the council is to leave the bins out and they'll return "as soon as possible".

I've heard that one before! :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:28 am

We had extra bags and the calendar delivered on a non-collection day. I suspect that this means that CCC employed extra staff to do this.

What is interesting (to me at least) is that the delivery person managed to find my property and put things through the letterbox. The council employees that delivered the under-sink recycling caddies couldn't find me!
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:30 pm

Got mine emptied at nine o'clock this morning and quickly dragged it back inside before someone dumped all their surplus rubbish in it!
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:41 pm

Most of my neighbours seemed oblivious that there was another green bin collection today? I only knew myself because I checked the council's website last night. I took the opportunity to dispose of the bin bags I've been stockpiling since before Xmas. It'll be another two weeks before they call again which for anyone who didn't take advantage of today's collection will have been three weeks.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:13 pm

Coventry woman's despair after bins not emptied for more than five weeks

A Coventry woman says she has been left feeling depressed at the mounting levels of recycling after five weeks of missed collections.

Jennifer West, a Bell Green resident receives assisted bin collections, but says her recycling bins have not been emptied since the end of November.

The result has been a pile of recycling that has reached the height of her fence, which she says has caused numerous issues regarding accessibility and safety.

The 52 year old former teaching assistant took medical retirement last year on health grounds, and says the assisted bin collections have really helped with managing everyday tasks.

She suffers from fibromyalgia and a deteriorating spine, a chronic illness that affects her mobility, making everyday tasks difficult to complete.

But at the end of November, bin collection workers stopped collecting her recycling, stating she was not on the list for the service.

Jennifer then contacted the Coventry City Council on November 28, December 13 and January 3 as well as through a formal complaint in writing at the beginning of December. She says she was then told by Coventry City Council that she was in fact on the list.

But the situation has persisted, and Jennifer's recycling bins have still not been collected.

The council have launched an investigation, but in the meantime the mounds of recycling have been piling up to such an extent that neighbours and her local postman have all pitched in to help.

Jennifer said: "It's depressing because I'm on the main road and whenever people walk past they can see. It's blocking my access to my back gate.

"I don't use my mobility scooter anymore because of my back, but if I did use it, the rubbish would be blocking the entry and exit. It's a fire hazard, it's depressing and an eyesore.

"I think I have the nicest postman in Coventry, he brought me clear plastic bags so I could bag up as much as possible until the council collect it."

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:51 am

Mum's recycling bin hasn't been collected since Christmas.

The Ginger Gnome posted an excuse penned by the manager responsible on a F/B page: it was frankly, laughable. This council are taking us all for a damned expensive ride. :fuming:
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 am

More missed bin collections in Coventry as residents amass five weeks of recycling

Residents near the Allesley area of Coventry claim they have been waiting five weeks for their recycling bins to be emptied.

People living in properties along Lyons Drive, Warmington Close and Browns Lane, say it is now becoming a problem as bins are over-flowing.

Coventry City Council handed out additional refuse bags to residents before the festive period for their extra waste.

These were due to be collected on Friday, January 3, however bags are piling up and people are still waiting.

One resident, Catherine Burgham, say it is the "longest and worst accumulation of rubbish" they have seen.

She said: "It has been around five weeks now since the council last collected our rubbish and we are still waiting. They should have taken our Christmas waste on Friday, January 3rd.

"They gave us some clear bags before Christmas for our extra waste, but they still haven't been taken away.

"Due to the bad weather, some of the bags are starting to split and rubbish is blowing all over the place.

"I have contacted the council about the problem multiple times and asked when they are coming to take the rubbish away, but they just told me there has been a logistical problem with the crew that collect our recycling waste."

She continued: "As a family of four we produce a fair amount of rubbish and recycling and there is just nowhere else for us to put it.

"Our next scheduled collection day is Friday and I have been told they will collect it then, but I can't be certain."

A resident of Warmington Close, who asked to remain anonymous, said: "We're all just getting a bit fed-up with it now. It's been five weeks since rubbish was last collected and it is just getting out of hand.

"It's blowing all over the place and it really isn't very nice.

"We've even had confusion about which bins are being collected on which dates, with the paper calendar saying one thing an our app saying another.

"We hope that someone is going to come and collect it on Friday."

dutchman
Site Admin

Next

Return to News