Prolific shoplifter didn't show for sentence as he had 'better things to do'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Prolific shoplifter didn't show for sentence as he had 'better things to do'

Postby dutchman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:05 pm

A shoplifter who targeted a Nuneaton shop 15 times in a fortnight to feed his drug habit failed to show to be sentenced - as he had "better things to do"

Justin Warren, a class A drug addict, stole fragrances and aftershaves worth more than £5,000 from Boots in the town.

Despite his drug habit, a judge described Warren as "a man with entrenched criminal attitudes".

And when he failed to turn up at Warwick Crown Court, having refused to get on a prison van because he said he had "better things to do", the judge sentenced him to more time behind bars in his absence.

Warren, 29, of Heath End Road, Nuneaton, who had been committed to the court after pleading guilty to 15 charges of theft over a 14-day period in June, was jailed for 24 weeks.

Prosecutor Ian Speed described Warren as ‘a prolific shoplifter’ who at the time had been subject to a community order imposed for theft with 65 other offences taken into consideration.

And magistrates had revoked that order and jailed him for 20 weeks at the end of June when they sent him to the crown court to be dealt with for his latest spate of offences.

Of those, Mr Speed said: “He targets Boots, in the main stealing fragrances and aftershave. He generally acts alone, but on one or two occasions he has used a friend to divert attention.

“He refused to answer any questions, but it’s believed it’s all to fund a drug habit.”

Sarah Allen, defending, described the individual thefts as minor offences, but Recorder Martin Butterworth responded: “They are not minor offences. Over a 14-day period he’s stolen five-and-a-half thousand pounds worth of property.

“It was a campaign of offending, and he was subject to a community order imposed a few weeks before these offences, which is an aggravating factor.

“I have to sentence him for 15 offences of theft from shops. That is what he’s chosen to do to feed a drug addiction. He is a man with entrenched criminal attitudes.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Prolific shoplifter didn't show for sentence as he had 'better things to do'

Postby dutchman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:08 pm

In fairness to Warren he probably did have "better things to do". Courts are a joke, judges are a joke and prison is a joke. I heard an old lag from Nuneaton say he was "looking forward to going back inside to meet all his old mates".
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Prolific shoplifter didn't show for sentence as he had 'better things to do'

Postby rebbonk » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 pm

I really couldn't say, but I know I'd hate to be cooped up in prison.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to News