Lovejoy remake in the works from Hustle creator Tony Jordan?

Lovejoy remake in the works from Hustle creator Tony Jordan?

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:18 pm

A reboot of BBC antique comedy Lovejoy could be in the works.

Radio Times reports that Tony Jordan, who created Hustle and Life on Mars, is in the early stages of developing the remake.

It's believed that Jordan is using the original Lovejoy novels as source material and that the series, if picked up, is likely to be a co-production with his company Red Planet Pictures.

Lovejoy aired on BBC One for six series between 1986 and 1994. It starred Ian McShane as the swindling antiques dealer.

Downton Abbey's Phyllis Logan appeared as love interest Lady Jane, while Dudley Sutton played Lovejoy's friend Tinker and Chris Jury his assistant Eric Catchpole.

Malcolm Tierney, who died at the age of 75 in 2014, played rival antiques dealer Charlie Gimbert.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Lovejoy remake in the works from Hustle creator Tony Jor

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:21 pm

I have mixed feelings about this? We need more civilised programmes like Lovejoy but not necessarily a remake as I doubt it could capture the magic of the original series, especially the earlier seasons. :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Lovejoy remake in the works from Hustle creator Tony Jordan?

Postby dutchman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:26 pm

Lovejoy, the classic TV series, set for new revival

Classic TV series Lovejoy looks set to get a revival as the rights to the original books have been bought.

The show, which starred Ian McShane as an antiques dealer in East Anglia who has the uncanny power to discern real items from fakes and recognise exceptional ones, originally ran between 1986 and 1994.

Company Blue Sky Pictures has now bought the rights to the original novels by John Grant, with the aim to reboot the show for a modern audience.

The studio's director Nick Witkowski said (via The Bookseller) that he planned to "update it for the 21st century for both the millions who followed the original and a whole new generation of viewers".

Of course this isn't the first attempt to bring the classic series back on screen, with a couple of stalled efforts post-2000.

It's unclear whether American Gods star McShane himself will be involved in a revival, though he did have his own suggestion of how things should pan out when asked about it on This Morning back in 2017.

"I said why don't you bring it back? I had a daughter on the show, so I said why don't [you do a show where] suddenly in walks this gorgeous 37-year-old blonde or redhead," he revealed.

"And it's not me – it's an actual girl. It's his daughter. It would be great to come back as a woman."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV