100-year-old Longford pub could be turned into studio flats

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

100-year-old Longford pub could be turned into studio flats

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 pm

The pub had been running since 1914 but beer sales have declined rapidly over the last 10 years

An historic Coventry pub is set to be turned into studio flats as it is "unviable" as a booze business.

The Old Crown Inn, on Windmill Road in Longford, has been standing since 1914.

But now it is set for a new lease of life as a house of multiple occupation (HMO).

A report prepared for Coventry City Council's planning committee says the pub is now "unviable".

It says trade has declined by around 50 per cent over the last decade, and there is too much competition locally for the pub to survive even if it could start providing food.

Nearby residents had worried that it would be used as a halfway house for ex-convicts or a rehab centre - with 166 submitting a petition against the development.

But those behind the project - APSE Building Design Ltd - previously told neighbours they have nothing to fear and the flats would be used by local people who are unable to get onto the property ladder.

The application to change the building's use has now been recommended for approval by councillors who will meet on Friday, February 15, to decide its future.

A marketing report by the developers states that Admiral Taverns had "determined that the business was failing and that it had become an 'end of life' premises".

Council officers say they agree that running a pub at the site would be "unviable".

The pub will be transformed into a HMO with 11 studio apartments and nine car parking spaces if planning permission is approved on Friday.

An office building will also be created to allow on-site management of the site.

The former pub, which was used as a recruiting post during World War One and sits just 50 yards from Longford Park Primary School, has already been stripped out.

A temporary stop notice was issued by Coventry City Council in October and no work has been undertaken since.

The developers will need to demolish post-Edwardian ground floor additions to the original structure and build a single storey ground floor extension at the rear of the property to make it viable as a HMO.

There will also be changes to the internal layout.

The project is now recommended to be granted planning permission as council officers say it will not adversely impact on neighbours, the area or highway safety.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: 100-year-old Longford pub could be turned into studio flats

Postby rebbonk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:07 pm

I thought conversion work had already started?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:02 pm

rebbonk wrote:I thought conversion work had already started?

A temporary stop notice was issued by Coventry City Council in October and no work has been undertaken since.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 pm

:thumbsup:
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Historic pub saved from flats plan in bizarre fashion

A bizarre planning committee meeting rejected plans to turn a historic Coventry pub into flats – despite trying to go back on its initial decision.

A plan was put forward by developers APSE Building Design Ltd to transform The Old Crown Inn, on Windmill Road, into 11 ‘studio apartments’.

The plans included an office for a site manager, but concerned residents feared this meant the scheme could in fact be a hostel.

At a planning meeting on Thursday, a late representation from the developer said the apartments would be let to ‘single, professional people’.

Officers recommended the plan be approved, with evidence demonstrating the now vacant pub - which opened in 1914 - is “unviable”, with sales declining some 47 per cent from 2009 to 2018.

But councillors were torn, with Cllr Gary Crookes stating: “I do understand the concerns.

“For an 11 bed HMO to want management – we are not used to that.

“It could lead to any distinction within the category applied that this could turn into a bail hostel or a hostel for the rehabilitation of offenders.”

Planning officer Liam D’Onofrio told councillors a hostel could not be legally run without further planning approval.

But chair of the committee Cllr Lindsley Harvard added: “There is facilities for staff to sleep overnight. It does to my mind sound like a hostel.”

After a vote, three councillors voted in favour, with three against, and one abstention. Due to the tie, the chair’s vote was the casting vote.

Cllr Harvard said his reason for refusal was as he was “not really convinced…it is aimed at teachers”.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 pm

Planning saga drags on due to inaccurate report

A bizarre planning saga to redevelop on a historic pub will drag on for a third appearance at Coventry’s planning committee due to inaccuracies in a council report.

Councillors said they were left “baffled” at a series of typos and inaccurate information supplied for an application to transform The Old Crown Inn pub on Windmill Road.

Applicant APSE Building Design Ltd saw their previous attempt to turn it into an 11-bed house in multiple occupation (HMO) with an office rejected in February.

At the time, the committee agreed with residents that the office meant it could be used as a hostel, rejecting the plan despite approval from officers, and the applicant making it clear it would be used by “single professionals”.

The latest application removed the office, making it a 12-bed HMO.

But ward councillor Linda Bigham, speaking against the plan, said there were a “catalogue of errors” in a ‘community use report’ presented to councillors.

Among them included typos, information incorrectly stating nearby pubs had closed, reference to a parish in Leicestershire 35 miles away, a line stating the area has a parish council when it doesn’t, and referring to a taxi/bus service which does not exist.

Cllr Bigham said: “The report shows substantial inaccuracies about the local area.

“It is a great concern as it brings into question the whole validity of this document. Is it any wonder residents are concerned about its use?”

Planning officer Mr D’Onofrio said typos had been identified in the report, which was produced by the applicant, as well as inaccuracies over certain nearby pubs closing, but these were left in.

He said the planning department used Google Maps to “make our own assessment”, but even with the errors, officers still recommended the application is approved.

Cllr Gary Crookes: “I’m somewhat astounded to hear that we have accepted supporting information that we have found to be incorrect.”

Cllr Hazel Sweet said she was “extremely concerned” by the inaccuracies, adding: “This is not acceptable and certainly not worthy of the blooming planning department.”

Cllr David Skinner added: “I am totally baffled.

“Cllr Bigham has raised a number of objections saying there are major faults with the information. The points made [by the officers] are totally at odds with the reality on the ground.”

Following a proposal by Cllr Pervez Akhtar, the committee voted to defer the application until the mistakes in the report had been corrected.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Why do I get the feeling that there is more behind this than is being made public?
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:49 am

rebbonk wrote:Why do I get the feeling that there is more behind this than is being made public?

I agree Rebbonk.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:04 pm

I remember something similar on McDonnell drive about 25 years ago! People power stopped that as well.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Yes I recall the one in Mc Donnell Drive.

My daughters friend told her that a Paedo half way house is going there a leek to local residence from some one from the council.
Melisandre

Next

Return to News