Armed robbers raid Morrisons store as terrified shoppers look on

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Armed robbers raid Morrisons store as terrified shoppers look on

Postby dutchman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:13 pm

A witness said the raiders were armed with an axe and a meat cleaver

Masked robbers burst into a Morrisons supermarket armed with an 'axe and meat cleaver' last night - leaving onlooking shoppers "shaking" with fear.

West Midlands Police said four masked men entered the shop on Parkgate Road just after 9pm and stole a large quantity of cigarettes.

They then fled in a stolen Volkswagen Golf.

Officers are now appealing for witnesses to the terrifying incident, or anyone with information, to come forward.

One witness, who did not want to be named, told CoventryLive the raid was "like something out of a horror movie".

They added: "I am still shaking today. It was crazy."

The witness said she had just finished her shopping and bought cigarettes when the masked men burst into the store.

They said: "There was about five of them dressed in dark clothes and balaclavas and they had a meat cleaver and axe.

"They ran past me and it was like something out of a horror movie.

"I left the store and got in my car and I was so frightened, I was sitting there shaking.

"I locked myself in the car and I phoned police while they were still in the shop.

"They were in there for about three minutes and then came out and got into a silver car.

"I went back into the shop and they had ordered the person behind the cigarette counter to open the kiosk and jumped over the counter. They left quite a lot of cigarettes on the floor.

"When I came home I was so shaken up I was frightened to open my door.

"I am still shaking today. It was crazy."

The witness said they had been put on hold by the 999 call operator for five minutes before the call was connected to police.

They said it took officers at least 20 minutes to arrive at the store in Holbrooks.

A spokesman for West Midlands Police said officers had arrived at the store within nine minutes.

They did not respond to CoventryLive's questions over 999 calls in the city being placed on hold.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News