Labour 'likely to scrap universal credit system'

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Labour 'likely to scrap universal credit system'

Postby dutchman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:55 pm

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell says Labour would probably replace rather than reform controversial system

The controversial universal credit programme is likely to be scrapped by a future Labour government, the shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, told a fringe meeting at the party’s annual conference in Liverpool.

He said that a party review of the flagship government programme was expected to find that the system “not only needs reform but needs replacing”.

At present, Labour’s policy is to “pause and fix” universal credit, a system that merges six existing benefits into a single payment. McDonnell’s words appear to signify a big shift in policy.

McDonnell told a lunchtime meeting that the review was being led by the shadow work and pensions secretary, Margaret Greenwood, but current indications were that the system should be scrapped.

“Margaret is doing the review, which will obviously come forward with conclusions about UC itself. But all the messages we are getting at the moment is that this is a system which just does not work and therefore not only needs reform but needs replacing,” he said.

At the fringe meeting, which was organised by the civil servants’ union PCS, the union’s general secretary, Mark Serwotka, praised McDonnell and Labour’s leader, Jeremy Corbyn, for getting rid of the policies of Gordon Brown and Tony Blair, which, he claimed, demonised benefit claimants. “Never again should a Labour government choose to continue the Tory narrative of the deserving and the undeserving poor,” he said.

In a speech to Labour’s annual conference on Monday, Greenwood set out proposals to ban punitive sanctions for people who turn up late to benefits appointments, in addition to plans to end the benefits freeze by raising rates in line with inflation.

She told delegates that Labour was “ambitious for our country and for all of our people – that is why today I am promising a complete change of direction”.

She added: “We will end the hostile environment that the Tories have created, by completely overhauling our social security system. We will rebuild it and restore dignity at its heart.”

Easier said than done I'm afraid! :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Labour 'likely to scrap universal credit system'

Postby Jock Strapp » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm

I would not like to have a government led by Corbyn and Abbot. Except for my years in the army I have always voted Labour but if there was an election this year I would have no one to vote for.
Universal Credit is to blame for much of todays homelessness so I agree that it needs scrapping. Yet another misery inflicted by Liam Duncan-Smith.
Jock Strapp

Postby Melisandre » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:09 pm

Would you not even vote for the Old Veterans a new party Jock.
Melisandre

Postby Jock Strapp » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Melisandre. Good evening to you. I have never heard of that party but if that name was on my ballot paper I would probably put my cross there. What is there to lose?
Jock Strapp

Postby rebbonk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:04 pm

I actually think Labour in its present form and with its current line-up is unelectable. Plenty seem to disagree with my thoughts though, so who knows?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Jock Strapp » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:08 pm

It seems to me that the hierarchy of the Labour party assume that a win for them is highly probable as the last two conservative governments have only been able to govern by taking other political parties on board.
Cameron was perhaps unfortunate to have Cleg and Osborn the smack head sitting on the front bench. However one has to question the judgement of a PM who had sex with a pigs head.

Jock Strapp

Postby Melisandre » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:12 pm

It's the old soilders that have formed a new party Jock the public have been on about voting for these for a while now.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5389616/ex-squaddies-to-launch-political-party/
Last edited by Melisandre on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Melisandre

Postby Melisandre » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:14 pm

rebbonk wrote:I actually think Labour in its present form and with its current line-up is unelectable. Plenty seem to disagree with my thoughts though, so who knows?

Your far from on your own thinking Labour is unelectable Rebbonk. :smile:
Melisandre

Return to General Discussion