Postby dutchman » Sun May 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Up again!

The erstwhile BP Garage in the Butts, now an Esso garage:

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Petrol and diesel prices

Postby dutchman » Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Asda petrol: Questions over pay at the pump charges

Jade Louise got a shock when she viewed her online statement after buying a fiver's worth of petrol at Asda in Dewsbury over the Bank Holiday weekend.

She used the pay-at-the-pump system which allows motorists to buy petrol without having to go into a kiosk.

"All I wanted to do was top up my almost full tank, because having two children, you never know when you'll need it," she told the BBC.

"Anything could happen over the next few weeks that might mean I can't afford to put fuel in, so as a precaution to make sure I can get me and my children from A to B, I sometimes top up silly amounts like £5 to keep it at full."

So when she saw the £99 pending transaction (pictured above) on her account, she took to Facebook to warn others of the charge.

"They should have notices on the petrol pumps making customers aware of this .... absolute joke!!!", she wrote.

She said: "I've been told the money doesn't actually leave your account, it's just ring-fenced until Asda claim the second transaction of the actual amount of fuel you took. Regardless, for three days I was unable to access my money."

Asda said: "We take any customer complaint seriously, but it's important to clarify that at no point has Asda taken or held Jade Louise's money as a result of this transaction.

"Visa and MasterCard have increased the minimum pre-authorisation amount at pay at the pump petrol pumps for all retailers and unfortunately, there seems to have been a delay in Jade Louise's bank releasing the hold."

The supermarket said it was unaware of anyone else having any problems using the system.

Even though the new higher pre-authorisation level was set last year, it is only now being introduced. Asda is trialling it at three sites over the next two months at petrol stations in Dewsbury, Barry and Widnes.

It is likely to be introduced more widely and at rival supermarkets when their petrol stations are upgraded.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Fri May 11, 2018 10:42 am

Update from petrolprices.com

Asda are withdrawing the trial until all banks can comply. An Asda spokesperson told MoneySavingExpert: “We always want to do the right thing for our customers, which is why we have made the decision to suspend Visa and Mastercard’s pre-authorisation transaction trial.

“The intention of Visa and MasterCard in this trial was to ensure customers had sufficient funds in their account to pay for their fuel, and the £99 would be immediately released back to customers by their bank.

“Whilst we have received very few complaints about this process until we can be given assurance that all banks are able to comply with the Visa and Mastercard rule change, we cannot continue to implement this change and risk harming our customers’ trust in us.”
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri May 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Shouldn't they have thought of that before they introduced it? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun May 20, 2018 12:24 am

Petrol creeping up again. Butts garage this evening...

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Some surprising results here!

Older diesels will run on almost anything, doesn't necessarily have to be 'diesel' fuel.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:18 pm

I can testify that Merc' diesels don't like petrol. I spent a whole Sunday afternoon being recovered from the M1 after a colleague mis-fueled the company car. :clown:
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:29 pm

NB: prices quoted are from three years ago:

My understanding is it depends on the compression-ratio of the cylinders and that there's no point in running a low compression-ratio engine on high-octane fuel.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:21 am

I can't say if it's typical but I've seen engines cut out at traffic lights and drivers having difficulty restarting, much to the annoyance of the cars behind. I've even seen engines cut out at speed bumps!
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:16 am

Daughter's car has a start/stop feature fitted. I always tell her to turn it off, especially on the motorway.

Having worked in vehicle electrics for more than a few years, I trust very little by way of electrics/computers on cars.
rebbonk

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion