Brothers aged 2 and 6 killed after Coventry hit-and-run

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Brothers aged 2 and 6 killed after Coventry hit-and-run

Postby dutchman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:28 pm

A major police incident is ongoing in MacDonald Road and Longfellow Road, Stoke, this afternoon

A two-year-old boy and his older brother have been killed in a hit-and-run in Coventry this afternoon.

The boys were taken to hospital following the collision by the junction of MacDonald Road and Longfellow Road, Stoke, just after 2pm.

However, both have now sadly died.

Two people, a 53-year-old man and a 41-year-old woman, have been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

A black Ford Focus with a dented bonnet and activated airbags was abandoned in nearby Hipswell Highway a short time later.

A West Midlands Police spokesman said: "The two-year-old, along with his six-year-old brother, was struck by a car around 2pm.

"Both were taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries, but sadly nothing could be done to save the younger brother.

"And despite the best efforts of hospital staff, the six-year-old brother involved in the collision has also sadly died.

"Our thoughts and sincere condolences are with the family of the two boys.

"A black Ford Focus was found abandoned a short time after the crash and two people - a 53-year-old man and a 41-year-old woman – have been arrested.

"The road remains closed while emergency services are at the scene and officers are speaking to witnesses."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Brothers aged 2 and 6 killed after Coventry hit-and-run

Postby Jock Strapp » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:43 am

Yes, I saw about this yesterday. I have not yet seen whether these children were accompanied with an adult. Nothing has yet been said about the parents but if these toddlers were alone then the parents must also take some of the blame.
Dangerous driving? failing to stop? Yesterday it was said that the car travelled 100 yards before stopping. Now it says the car stopped in Hipswell Highway. No doubt the truth will come out.
The killing of anyone on the road is truly a dreadful business but the killing of children is far far worse.
Jock Strapp

Postby Melisandre » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:07 pm

The children were accompanied 9 children and their mothers were going to the park when they got knocked down crossing MacDonald Rd Jock according to the update in the Metro and Coventry Telegraph the 53 driver and 41 female have been charged with drinking driving and dangerous driving . The mother is ok according to news on the radio from the police report.

Just proves only law abiding people will stick by speed limits no matter what speed limit they set.

RIP little fellows
Melisandre

Postby Jock Strapp » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Yes Meliandre I saw it on the news later. What a nightmare, drink driving, speeding, failing to stop, he will be looking at a prison sentence. For months if not years he will live with the horror of that impact every day. That will be the real punishment.
Jock Strapp

Postby Melisandre » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:51 pm

I doubt people like him have a conscience Jock if he did drunk or sober he would of not been speeding in the first place and would of stopped at the scene. I ve been a driver my self for many years I even gone to bangor racing events these are the places these kind should go they will then see by their head aches they get what impact does just by slower speeds of being hit or have a scrap yard and see how protected they and their passengers are not like what I ve seen when cars have been bought in tobus for scrap after an acciedent.

Prior to the law of no drink and driving and seat belts came in many a time when I was a child I traveld back from the Jag club with my mum and dad also sisters in his car after my dad having drinking 9 pints never did he exceed speed nor did he ever have an acciedent he drove for the RAF during ww2..
Last edited by Melisandre on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Tributes laid at scene of suspected hit-and-run that killed brothers, aged two and six

Flowers and tributes have been laid at the scene of the suspected hit-and-run in Coventry that left two young brothers dead.

Teddy bears and lit candles are among the items placed at the junction of Longfellow Road and Macdonald Road, Stoke, where the brothers, aged two and six, were struck by a car yesterday afternoon.

Sadly, nothing could be done to save the boys and both were declared dead at hospital.

There has been an outpouring of love for the brothers and their family since the tragedy, including the tribute left at the scene.

Among the flowers tied to a lamppost of those from loved ones with messages including: “Rest in peace guys. Grandad misses you so much. He will always love you xxx.”

Another read: “My beautiful nephews taken way too young. I love you both with all my heart. Never ever forgotten.”

Even people who do not know the family personally have been left heartbroken by the incident that resulted in two people - a 53-year-old man and a 41-year-old woman - being arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and drink-driving.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Heartbroken mum pays tribute to her "amazing" and "cheeky" boys

The heartbroken mum of two young brothers killed in a suspected hit-and-run has paid tribute to her “amazing” and “cheeky” sons.

West Midlands Police have now officially named the brothers as Corey Platt-May, aged six, and two-year-old Casper Platt-May.

The boys suffered serious injuries after being struck by a car by the junction of MacDonald Road and Longfellow Road, Stoke, on Thursday.

Little Casper was pronounced dead shortly after arrival at hospital and soon afterwards the family were told that Corey had also passed away.

The boys’ mother, Louise, has paid tribute to her sons.

She said: “Corey was an amazing boy. He never kept still, always had to be doing something and coming up with new ideas of things to do.

“He loved school more than any kid I know. His favourite subject was maths.

“But his main passion in life was his football. He has been playing for a local team since he was four but since the day he could hold a ball he was never without one.

“He will be deeply missed by all that had the pleasure of knowing him."

Speaking of Casper, she said: “Casper was a cheeky little boy, always getting into trouble and driving his brothers crazy.

“But he was so loving and caring and constantly told his family how much he loved them.

“He loved walking everywhere with his wellies and splashing in the puddles.

“His smile could light up any room and he will be so, so missed by all who knew him.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Jock Strapp » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 pm

Melisandre. I understand what you are saying but if he isn't mourning for those boys he will be mourning and reflecting on his own bleak future. And so he should.
Will he ever drive again? Probably as I doubt that the judge will give him a sentence that reflects his selfishness and stupidity.
As for killing. I was a career soldier, I was trained to kill, that is a soldiers job. I have killed both while in the army and as security aboard a Maersk ship. Killing is something that never goes away no matter what the circumstances. I can guarantee that the driver of that car will have many sleepless nights, if not for those boys it will be for himself.
Jock Strapp

Postby dutchman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Pair in court over young brothers' road deaths in Coventry

Two people have been remanded in custody after two young brothers were killed in a collision in Coventry, a court heard.

Robert Brown, 53, and Gwendoline Harrison, 41 , were both charged with two counts of causing death by dangerous driving. Brown, from Wyken, also faced charges of driving while disqualified, no insurance and otherwise than in accordance with a licence. Harrison also from Wyken, faced a common assault allegation.

Neither were required to enter any pleas when they appeared at Coventry magistrates court, sitting in Leamington, on Saturday. They only spoke to confirm their names, dates of birth and addresses.

The case against Brown and Harrison was adjourned until 22 March.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Driver pleads guilty in Corey and Casper death trial

Robert Brown and Gwendoline Harrison appeared at Warwick Crown Court this morning

The driver accused of causing the deaths of young brothers Corey and Casper Platt-May has pleaded guilty in court this morning.

Robert Brown, 53, of Attwood Crescent, in Wyken, entered guilty pleas to both causing the death of the young brothers and driving while disqualified.

Gwendoline Harrison, 41, of Triumph Close, Wyken, who was also originally charged with causing the death of six-year-old Corey and Casper, two, has now pleaded guilty to assault with intent to resist arrest.

The prosecution will formally enter no evidence on a second charge she was facing of attempting to pervert the course of justice when she appears in court for sentencing.

The original charge she was facing of causing the boys' deaths has been dropped.

The killer driver who mowed down Corey and Casper Platt-May had only been released from prison just SIX DAYS earlier.

Robert Brown had been serving a six-month sentence for driving offences and possession of a machete when he was released on licence in mid-February.

And less than a week later he was behind the wheel of the black Ford Focus that hit Coventry brothers Corey, six, and Casper, two, in Longfellow Road, Stoke, on February 22.

Brown, of Attoxhall Road, Wyken, had been jailed on November 11, 2017, after he was found guilty in his absence of four offences.

They included possession of a red-handled 18-inch machete in September, driving without a licence, driving without insurance and failing to answer bail.

He was handed a six-month prison term at Coventry Magistrates’ Court and was released on licence halfway through that sentence.

One of the reasons for his time in custody had been his “previous history of carrying offensive weapons”.

Brown’s criminal record also includes convictions for wounding in 2014 and common assault and theft from a shop in 2016.

dutchman
Site Admin

Next

Return to News