"Britain must take in 10,000 refugees", says Yvette Cooper

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Re: "Britain must take in 10,000 refugees", says Yvette Cooper

Postby rebbonk » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:39 am

Why are CCC wasting its time and OUR money discussing these things? :stir:

CCC has its own issues to sort out, it ought keep out of national politics.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:01 am

They say they believe it is right to help those in need and we are very proud

What about their own
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/c ... ng-8986810

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/c ... k-11483155

Anne Lucas says some councilors have received hate mail .
She said with words I had never knew existed but what struck me was that the messages were filled with misinformation.

I wonder what our parents would of written knowing how they fought and worked tripple the work load to produce armoury in the blitz of Coventry in wwii if they knew their grand children and great grand children are now homeless sleeping on our streets.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:08 am

My views on Lucas and her administration of this city are unprintable. :fuming:
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Seems by the letters they have recieved your not on your own Rebbonk :D

I have noticed these people have never known want in their own city and I mean want.
I wonder how many have them have tried living on the streets here. Yes some sleep out from their cushy home s for a week end in sympathy but indoors also recently in the ruins of the old cathedral grounds but not in the winter for a good length of time and they come well prepared which you have nt got when your homeless especially if you have children with you.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:44 pm

I think the sleeping out in the cathedral is a bit of a joke. It's usually a lot of middle-class do gooders who actually have no idea of the reality, but it salves their consciences. They actually think they're doing their bit!

They make it out to be one great experience, they have food and drink on hand as well as heat and good clothing. Those truly on the streets rarely have any of this and they suffer in far colder weather.

And of course, they have plenty of company and don't face the violence and other problems that the real street dwellers face.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Thats very true Rebbonk if these people wanted to do their bit they should take one in offering a roof over their head and warm food.

When my ex and I with two young children was homeless I was lucky enough eventually to live in a car in the 70s yes its colder than people think even in summer.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:23 pm

£2.5m taxpayer bill to rehome Syrian child refugees in Coventry

Taxpayers face a bill of £2.5m to rehome Syrian refugee children in Coventry.

The figures emerged in a Coventry City Council report looking at the financial impact of accommodating unaccompanied child refugees fleeing the war-torn Middle East .

Council officers predict Coventry will take an estimated 53 children - partly as a result of the dismantlement of the ‘Calais Jungle’ refugee camp on the French border.

Numbers in the report show the council receives grants of £37,000 per child from central government but is left with costs of around £10,000 per child - which will cost the local authority £530,000.

However, the actual figure could be much higher with the council acknowledging that a shortage in foster carers means more expensive placements are sometimes required - such as residential care homes that can cost in excess of £150,000-a-year per child.

According to the council’s estimates, the eventual total taxpayer bill for rehousing Syrian children in Coventry alone will be just short of £2.5m.

Coventry has already re-homed 25 unaccompanied Syrian refugee children, out of a total of 60 who have been allowed into the country so far. Officials now predict the city will eventually need to take a further 28 in order to meet its responsibilities under the government’s resettlement scheme.

Coventry has taken in more Syrian refugees than any other UK city, with almost 200 staying in the city out of an estimated 1,600 to have arrived in the country.

The city has pledged to be a ‘City of Sanctuary’ for refugees and, despite the mounting costs, the council appears as if it will stick to that pledge.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:23 pm

We shouldn't be taking a single one!

Why haven't they claimed asylum in France? - France is not an unsafe country. I think we all know why!

It's about time our moronic council woke up to the fact that immigrants are creating problems in this city. There are far too many and they have no intention of integrating. :fuming:
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:25 pm

Why is our council taking in these so called children when they can't afford their own nor services which are being cut. What impact will this have on our city when their families want to join them.
How many of these in the council who make these decisions are taking them into their homes and paying for them out their own pockets instead of charging bedroom tax and council tax to people who should never be paying the bedroom tax in the first place bedroom tax is just getting rid of people they no longer want in their city as its provern there is nt one bedroom homes available here so what they are doing is social cleansing the people who were born and bred and worked here and contributed over a life time to this city.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Council agrees in principle to house up to five additional Syrian families in Warwick district

Up to five more Syrian families could be rehoused by Warwick District Council as part of national scheme.

Councillors at this week’s executive committee agreed to take in the extra families in principle as part of the Syrian Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme after hearing how well another five families had settled in the area.

The funds are provided by the government and administered by Warwickshire County Council who also help the refugees through an Arabic speaking support worker service.

The decision on whether or not the families are relocated to the Warwick district will be made by the government.

dutchman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion