Coventry 1 - 1 Blackpool (videos added)

Latest team news, results, video clips, interviews and live coverage

Coventry 1 - 1 Blackpool (videos added)

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:26 pm

An unfortunate Alex Baptiste own goal earned Coventry a draw from a thrilling game against 10-man Blackpool.

Baptiste put through his own net under pressure from Keith Southern after an 83rd-minute goalmouth melee.

Blackpool's chances of victory seemed slim when Brett Ormerod was controversially shown a red card after clashing with Aron Gunnarsson.

Barry Bannan, who also hit the bar with an 18-yard shot, had put the away side ahead with a superb 30-yard lob.

Coventry boss Chris Coleman:
"I thought Blackpool were the better team in the second half.

"You often see that with 10 men so it feels like a point gained to have scored so late.

"The main thing is to keep picking up points as the table is very tight at the moment so we need to keep going."

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway:
"I don't think players fake it but my player's reaction (to his sending off) is that he is absolutely fuming.

"He doesn't think he caught the lad. Somebody might have."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry 1 - 1 Blackpool (videos added)

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Clinton Morrison Shot

Sky Blues Equaliser

Freddy Eastwood Shot
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry 1 - 1 Blackpool

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:31 am

RED BRETT INNOCENT SAY BOSSES
EARLY BATH - Blackpool's Brett Ormerod is sent off

BRETT ORMEROD got a straight red card after Coventry midfielder Aron Gunnarsson was knocked spark out for four minutes.

But Blackpool striker Ormerod had both managers leaping to his defence afterwards over the 51st-minute dismissal by referee Dean Whitestone.

Coventry manager Chris Coleman said: "Brett is not a dirty player. I don't know what happened but I know Brett is very disappointed."

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway added: "Brett is a really honest player. He said he didn't crack anybody with his elbow and I totally believe him.

"If somebody did, then I suggest the evidence will be on the video. I'm totally confident he will be vindicated by it."

The flashpoint came as Ormerod and keeper Keiran Westwood jostled with each other as they waited for a corner. And Icelander Gunnarsson fell to the floor as an arm hit him.

The loss of Ormerod should have spelled the end for the visitors but Holloway's impressive side continued to dominate with 10 men.

And the Seasiders' pressure paid dividends on 69 minutes with a moment of magic from promising Villa youngster Barry Bannan.

The 20-year-old, who on Friday extended his loan deal at Bloomfield Road until the end of the season, spotted Westwood off his line and executed a perfect 30-yard chip into the net for his first goal since last March while on loan at Derby.

His strike prompted a chorus of boos from the disgruntled Ricoh Arena faithful.

Clinton Morrison's weak effort from six yards and a wayward Freddy Eastwood shot from outside the penalty area did little to lift the home fans.

And it took an Alex Baptiste own goal seven minutes from time in trying to clear Gary Deegan's cross to win Coleman's men a point.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Sky Blues