Work begins on medieval Coventry building makeover

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: Work begins on medieval Coventry building makeover

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:47 pm

DUTCHMAN the monastery was all one, it was just a huge complex, I stayed there for a week in Feb 1947 at the foot of mount Carmel. (I would like you to look it up on Google) to give you the size,-- the Coventry Monastery was a replica, but without the wall the church was built in Richard III's time. The 13 white friars arrived still wearing their white gown with red cross, that represented Christ's bloodshed for the good of mankind. The Templars founded in 1119 at the First Crusade only lasted two years before King Philip of France wanted some of their wealth and was jealous, so he got the Pope to back him, they arrested tortured and burnt alive the Templars, So they fled and changed their costume to a grey cowl ---- 13 landing up in COV. The Coventry Church was destroyed April 1941 bar the steeple. [Midland Daily Telegraph book of the Blitz]

The 18th century everything had been forgotten of the past, the John Hales house, the manor house, the Castle, -- Whitefriars, the Templars, the walls and gates had been gone over two thousand years except to historians.

But the Coventry Friars did put on the Corpus Christi Plays and pageants, 16th century, One of the young actors, said to be William Shakespeare learnt how to act, read lines, at those shows.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:42 pm

:thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:37 pm

Dutchman, unless we were on duty, we would finish training at 12 noon, then do an hour at five pm, but it was lovely and cool in the old Carmelite church, and I could study very old history. So learnt.

The first Crusade and the monks and friars took up the sword and fought, they wore white gowns with the red cross, that represented dripping blood from Christ on the cross in 1119 they were founded as a soldiery fearsome force, and where called Templars (temples they sought to win) but two years later French king Philip who owed them money persuaded the Pope that they were evil, arrested them, tortured and burnt at the stake. Every thing I read I saw scripture come to life.

So they fled, 13 landed in Coventry, as they were Christians ...they were given land.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:18 pm

what a poor description, nothing tells us what the building was, use or info, surely Coventry people should have some info, the only building I know of was the racetrack club house, The Royal park was owned by the Prince Regent, later King George the fourth, in Nov 1819 the prince regent was staying at Combe Park with his friend LORD CRAVEN, here Mayor Rew and the corporation Paid his respects to the Royal guest. Lord Craven then introduced Skears Rew.
So pleased was the Prince with the deputation, Then we will give him a a Knighthood on him making him Sir Skears Rew.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:23 pm

Blitzkid wrote:Sir Skears Rew.

Not a name I'd come across before. Thanks, Blitzkid :thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:14 am

Dutchman, the piece they wrote about the grey friars not eating fish, was mine they took it of the c.h.forum, I know it's mine for I brought it back from
ROME (VATICAN) in 1954, it's not an official historical fact, it only applied to the monks on Mount Carmel the friars in Coventry where a younger Generation.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:05 pm

Dutchman the point they made about the monks not eating fish was my story quoted on the c.h.forum, it's not official, or in any historic book, I brought it back from ROME (VATICAN) in 1954 its about generation differance.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:25 pm

Dutchman, the tale about the friars not eating fish, was only half a story, at the time I posted there were no replies no questions, no interest, and still not the people never bothered to ask the author they do not no why I wrote that, and not interested to find out, the history o f Coventry Cathedral. when it was built 14th century they were on the back of the Crusades, now the cathedral was built with mighty big stones, now the German race at that time had more Crusaders than the English and more Pilgrims than the English, so they knew from Crusader timed the best way to bring down, boulder built buildings was by fire.at the seige of ascolon 1153 the only way was to bring it down by the great heat of fire, and this is what Happened, Coventry Cathedral was made of great boulders, was destroyed by great heat of fire, all this can be checked.
The building of the Chartereaux was also nearly destroyed by fire, they managed to do.ws it--- Richard 11 laid the first stone on his return from Scotland in 1385 and claimed he was the founder, but the design, was already there , Richard Botoner and is brother who built the Cathedral in 1372 took over forty years to build.
There was a story that Baldwyn Frevile lost his father from wounds in the third Crusade, along side Richard Lionheart, but was tended by Caruthsian monks, so he gave 14 acres of land on Whitley common to Lord Zouch of Harringworth to erect a Monastery to said Monks.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:05 pm

Blitzkid wrote:Dutchman, the piece they wrote about the grey friars not eating fish, was mine they took it of the c.h.forum

Who was it that quoted your post? Do you have a link to the article?
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:23 am

Once again Coventry City loses it's History. The council house was built in 1913 to 1917 and opened by the duke of York in 1920.
They should have re-furbished the council House first, the history of Coventry in this magnificent building, it's statues of Coventry's related people, its windows of coloured glass telling the history of this great city, more people and scenes of known people attached some way to Coventry.
I'm sure there was a picture Of the chartereaux.

The duke of York, came second to his brother, was shy, with little confidence stuttered badly, he was sent to Coventry to open the council house, I believe his first Royal duty, He was terrified, But Coventry gave him a great warm welcome, immense crowds, the windows and streets crammed with people cheering and flag waving. ------(his parents not knowing what date they had to attend the unknown Cenotaph. and could do little with his older brother)

Like the Cathedral, the C.House did not get hit with H.E the windows all broke from the Great Heat of the fire ball of the Blitz. and so did documents and paper work.
Blitzkid

Previous

Return to Local History