Conservative MPs Dehenna Davison and Sir Gary Streeter to step down at next election...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Conservative MPs Dehenna Davison and Sir Gary Streeter to step down at next election...

Postby dutchman » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:33 am

The Tories are bracing for a growing exodus as opinion polls suggest the party is coming up against an almighty challenge to recover their popularity

Two more Conservative MPs have announced that they will not be standing at the next general election.

Dehenna Davison, 29, a levelling up minister, is viewed as one of the rising stars in the Tory party, so the news of her intention to step aside will come as a surprise.

"For my whole adult life, I've dedicated the vast majority of my time to politics, and to help make people's lives better," the MP for Bishop Auckland said in a statement to the Northern Echo.

"But, to be frank, it has meant I haven't had anything like a normal life for a 20-something."

Raab investigation widened as third complaint made - politics latest

Ms Davison's announcement came shortly after Sir Gary Streeter, 67, said he would not run again in the South West Devon constituency he has comfortably held since its conception in 1997.

In his resignation statement, the former frontbencher said he believes Rishi Sunak, the prime minister, "will recover strongly from recent challenges".

Two others, William Wragg, 34, and Chloe Smith, 40, confirmed earlier this week that they would not contest their seats either.

The relatively young age of some Tories who have announced they will be standing aside will raise concerns about a potential loss of young talent within the party.

Ms Davison had been brought into government by former prime minister Liz Truss, and was kept on in the role when Rishi Sunak took over, with her prospects in the party seeming high.

:sky_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Conservative MPs Dehenna Davison and Sir Gary Streeter to step down at next election...

Postby dutchman » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:34 am

Rats leaving a sinking ship? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Conservative MPs Dehenna Davison and Sir Gary Streeter to step down at next election...

Postby rebbonk » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:43 pm

Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby rebbonk » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:38 am

Rishi Sunak's Net Zero Tsar To Quit Parliament As Tory Exodus Gathers Pace

Chris Skidmore has become the latest Conservative MP to confirm they are not standing at the next election.

Rishi Sunak’s net zero tsar has become the latest Tory MP to announce they will not be running again for parliament.

Chris Skidmore said he would not be fighting to find another constituency when expected boundary changes abolish his Kingswood seat.

The 41-year-old is the ninth Tory MP to confirm they will not stand at the next general election, which is expected in 2024.

His announcement came just 24 hours after levelling up minister Dehenna Davison and Gary Streeter announced that they were also joining the Conservative exodus.

Skidmore, who was first elected in 2010, said: “With no alternative seat, I have decided that I do not wish to fight another constituency elsewhere in the region or country, especially with a very young family who deserve to see more of their father in their lives.”

The former science minister said he now wants to focus on the UK reaching net zero carbon emissions by 2050 as he undertakes a review for Sunak.

“Rather than step aside, I hope that in the future I can step up to continue to play my own small part in helping to deliver on the energy transition that the world needs,” he said.

The relatively young ages of many of the Tories planning to quit has alarmed some within the party.

Davison, who became Bishop Auckland’s first Conservative MP in 2019, is 29, while Chloe Smith and William Wragg - who are also standing down - are 40 and 34 respectively.

The party is braced for a growing exodus as opinion polls suggest the Conservatives face an almighty challenge to recover their popularity.

source: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/rishi-sunas-net-zero-tsar-latest-tory-mp-to-quit_uk_63827c08e4b0b7f653076e2e
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:22 pm

Sajid Javid to step down as Tory exodus grows

Sajid Javid has announced he will not be standing at the next general election, calling time on his parliamentary career and adding to a recent rush of Tory MPs quitting politics.

The MP for Bromsgrove announced the news in a letter to his local Conservative Party association which he tweeted out on Friday, admitting he had “wrestled” with the decision.

Mr Javid, 55, has held six cabinet positions including two great offices of state - heading up the Treasury and the Home Office - and ran for the Tory leadership twice, in 2019 and this summer.

The decision by such an experienced minister to leave politics will be seen as a signal that some on the Tory benches believe that election defeat is looming.

Recent polls have put the Labour Party 20 percentage points ahead of the Conservatives, who sunk to record polling lows after Liz Truss’s mini-budget backfired this autumn.

On Thursday in the constituency of Chester, the Conservatives suffered their worst election result since 1832, getting just 22 per cent of the vote as Labour won the by-election there, extending its majority.

Mr Javid’s announcement that he will not be standing follows a flurry of other Tory MPs doing likewise in the last fortnight, ahead of a deadline for decisions by Monday, as set by party bosses.

Many are relatively young for MPs. The Tories Dehenna Davison, 29, William Wragg, 34, and Chloe Smith, 40, have all said in recent weeks that they will stand down.

Mr Javid will remain as an MP until the next general election, which is expected to be held in 2024, with Mr Sunak able to decide exactly when. The latest it can be held is January 2025.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:27 pm

I can't help wondering if Khan's views on vaccines are potentially coming back to bite him on the butt. Either way, I'll not miss the twerp.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:05 am

It's a stampede for the exit now!

Rugby Conservative MP Mark Pawsey to step down

A Warwickshire MP has announced he will not stand at the next general election.

Mark Pawsey, Conservative MP for Rugby, said that "after much consideration" he will step down after 12 years.

In a statement, he said it had been an "honour to serve the residents of Rugby and Bulkington since 2010".

Mr Pawsey's decision coincides with the Conservative Party's 5 December deadline for MPs to state whether they would fight the next election.

Speaking on Twitter, Mr Pawsey said: "I will continue to work hard on [residents'] behalf throughout my remaining time as their MP."

He confirmed his plan to stand down in a letter to Rugby Conservative Association chairman Councillor Adrian Warwick.

"I recognise the many challenges our country faces today, as we recover from the Covid pandemic and as we respond to the huge increase in energy costs arising from the illegal war in Ukraine," he wrote.

"I know the people in our constituency understand the need for the measures that have had to be introduced."

He said he had "great confidence" in the leadership of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.

"I'm sure that a new Conservative candidate will go on to win in Rugby, whenever the election is called," he added.

In June, Mr Pawsey called for the restoration of Rugby's accident and emergency department, 25 years after it was downgraded.

He told a parliamentary debate it had become necessary because of a growing population.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:06 am

He said he had "great confidence" in the leadership of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.

:rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News