Energy bills: Rishi Sunak gives one-off repayable £200 discount to households

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: Energy bills: Rishi Sunak gives one-off repayable £200 discount to households

Postby dutchman » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:18 pm

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Energy bills: Rishi Sunak gives one-off repayable £200 discount to households

Postby dutchman » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:19 pm

Good news everyone, your energy bills will only be DOUBLE what you were paying last year! :jester:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:28 pm

Sadly, Dutchman, many haven't yet worked this out! You really cannot educate pork!
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:09 pm

Martin Lewis: On an energy fix – will what you pay DROP due to the new fixed rate energy guarantee?

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:11 pm

Martin Lewis warning to people who pay energy bills by direct debit

Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis has issued a warning to people who pay their energy bills by direct debit. From October 1, people who pay their bills via direct debit will be charged up to 10p per kilowatt hour of gas that they use and 34p per kilowatt hour of electricity.

Mr Lewis put the warning out on social media and advised people to make a change in order to save money, The Mirror reports. The founder of Money Saving Expert issued the message on his Twitter page, writing: "WARNING: It's #MeterReadingWeek. On Sat most energy bills rise 27%".

In the video, Mr Lewis said: "If you pay by direct debit, firms estimate your use and they also estimate when it's used, so you don't want them to assign more of your units to the more expensive period. How do you stop that?

"You submit a meter reading. Take a picture, too, so you have evidence.

"That way, there's no estimate and there's no discrepancy."

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:13 pm

In my experience they still send an estimated bill even if you provide them with an accurate meter reading in good time! :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:22 pm

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Truss is simply subsidising the middlemen at our expense, rather than tackling the root cause.

Truss is no good, and never will be! :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:42 pm

Received a letter from Shell Energy this afternoon complaining that I haven't submitted a meter reading in a long while.

Actually I have and even discussed it with them over the phone.

The letter is dated 20th September"! :clown:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:51 am

Mother using Coventry warm bank as energy bills soar

A mother has said she is scared to turn on her lights due to soaring energy bills.

Danielle Garside, 32, said she had begun taking refuge in a Coventry "warm bank".

The single mother-of-two, who receives Universal Credit and Child Benefit, said she spent more than half of her monthly income on gas and electricity.

"I'm scared to turn the lights on sometimes," she told the Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS).

"You don't know how much it will cost you. I'm quite worried with how cold it's been some nights and it will only get worse."

Ms Garside said she spent about £50 per week on energy via a pre-payment meter and that the stress was affecting her mental health.

"Especially with Christmas, it's quite a struggle," she said.

"I've had to explain to the children there might have to be quite a budget this year."

Ms Garside said last month her family were cut off by their provider, leaving them without electricity for two days.

She said she was currently looking for a job and that her children, aged eight and five, had noticed her being unable to pay for things as normal.

Ms Garside said price rises had made supermarkets like Tesco and Morrisons unaffordable for her.

She is one of the regular users of Holbrooks Community Centre, which runs a discounted "social supermarket" and provides free lunches every Monday.

"Warm safe spaces" being run by Holbrooks Community Association are available at Holbrooks Community Centre on Mondays and Holbrooks Library every Tuesday to Thursday.

Everyone is welcome to use the free service during opening hours.

Councillor Rachel Lancaster, who is on the management committee for both groups, said: "It's times like this when you realise that there is community there."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:51 pm

As I suspected Shell have been undercharging me for months so I made a voluntary cash payment of £580 to clear the arrears and avoid being lulled into a false sense of well being.
dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News