The Masked Dancer UK unmasks US star as series returns to screens

The Masked Dancer UK unmasks US star as series returns to screens

Postby dutchman » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:25 pm

"It's one of the most zany things I've ever done"

The Masked Dancer UK series 2 eliminated its first famous face tonight (September 3).

Unveiling himself beneath the Astronaut costume in front of a packed-out crowd was none other than Jesse Metcalfe, the actor behind John Rowland in Desperate Housewives.

Quizzed on why he decided to join ITV's madcap competition, the American said: "I thought it would be fun because dance is something that really intimidates me so it's a fear that I wanted to face.

"This has been unbelievable, it's one of the most zany things I've ever done in my career but I've thoroughly enjoyed myself."

Much like on sister series The Masked Singer UK, contestants must abide by a firm set of rules to keep the mystery-identity aspect intact.

"It was so hard. I'm obviously based in the US, and I couldn't tell friends why I was in the country, so lots of ignoring messages and being vague about what I was doing... and even some outright lying," Metcalfe recalled of the process.

"The protocols on the stages were very strict. Annoyingly so, at times! Had to be entirely covered at all times: mask, balaclava, hoodie, gloves. And you literally couldn't speak to anyone on stage during rehearsals for fear of being identified by your voice.

"Not talking was quite hard for me!"

On whether he'd change anything about his Masked Dancer UK experience, the two-time Smallville star (Metcalfe played Van McNulty) also went on to admit: "I actually loved my costume, but besides it being incredibly hot to dance in, my visibility wasn't great.

"Truthfully, I could hardly see, so I was relieved when I could finally remove the mask!"

The Masked Dancer UK resumes next Saturday (September 10) at 6.30pm on ITV.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)