Energy bills: Rishi Sunak gives one-off repayable £200 discount to households

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: Energy bills: Rishi Sunak gives one-off repayable £200 discount to households

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:47 am

I've heard nothing, as yet. I suppose it'll eventually drop through the letterbox. :?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Energy bills: Rishi Sunak gives one-off repayable £200 discount to households

Postby dutchman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:47 am

When will I receive a payment?

On Wednesday 20 April and Thursday 21 April, the Council issued more than 82,000 payments to people who pay by Direct Debit. These amounts should have reached bank accounts on Friday 22 April and Monday 25 April. Please check your account – the payment will be referenced ‘energy rebate.’

If you pay by Direct Debit and had not received the payment into your bank account by Wednesday 25 May, you will receive a post office voucher by post.

29 June 2022 update

Over 45,420 Post Office vouchers have been issued to eligible households so far.

Our priority now is to issue all remaining eligible households that have not yet received an Energy Rebate payment. Delays in issuing a voucher could be for several reasons i.e., changed address after 01st April, those properties that were un-banded at the start of the scheme. In some cases, there are outstanding items of work on council tax accounts, therefore, these cases require manual intervention to establish eligibility before the voucher can be issued.

It is our intention that the last payments will be dispatched by no later than the end of July 2022 if not sooner.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:23 pm

It dropped onto the mat this morning.

The 4 forms of acceptable I/D were interesting...

Passport or photographic I/D - Many people simply don't have these.
Council tax bill - I wonder how many actually have this? Can it all be done on-line?
Utility bill - Usually done on-line these days.
Bank statement - Again, usually carried out on-line as paperless transactions.

I have to say, it did give me a wry smile, but I do like the catchall statement that if unclaimed the money would be used to reduce next year's bill. Now, forgive me for being a little thick, but if they can do this, why wasn't it all done this way in the first place? Imagine the money (time, effort, material, etc..) that could have been saved. Oh dear, I'm letting my past life of efficiencies interfere again, aren't I?
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:32 pm

I used my annual council tax statement and water bill. They said my bus pass was also acceptable.

Finding statements with a matching name on them was the biggest problem. For decades my water bill was in the previous occupant's name and my bank account has my names in the wrong order for historical reasons.

I have to say, it did give me a wry smile, but I do like the catchall statement that if unclaimed the money would be used to reduce next year's bill. Now, forgive me for being a little thick, but if they can do this, why wasn't it all done this way in the first place?

Many people pay nothing so a reduction is of no use to them.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:26 pm

You've just reminded me, that my water bill is in a very badly misspelt name. ST seem incapable of correcting this, despite many attempts by me over the years. I wonder what would happen if I refused to pay their bill? My bet is that the courts would uphold their rights to any monies due. :fuming:
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:39 pm

ST seem incapable of correcting this, despite many attempts by me over the years.

It took me decades!

In the end I visited Severn-Trent's HQ with a briefcase-full of legal documents where a very nice young lady sorted it all out for me.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:24 pm

Rishi Sunak plans fresh help with cost of living in autumn budget

Rishi Sunak is drawing up plans for another cost of living package to support households amid industry predictions of further energy price rises in January.

Senior government sources said the chancellor was preparing to use his budget in the autumn to announce fresh measures to deal with spiralling gas, electricity and petrol prices.

A senior government source said that Sunak privately expected he would need to make further announcements on cost of living support in the budget which is expected in late October or early November.

“What the autumn budget will have to do is revisit the cost of living,” they said. “A lot depends on what is happening in Ukraine but with Russia starting to restrict gas supplies then the energy cap is likely to be up and we’ll have to do something else.”

They added that Sunak had decided to make his announcement on future support in May despite knowing that he might have to revise it because of the political pressure on the government to address the issue.

“Rishi’s view was that we had to announce the cost of living package early because until we did so no one was going to allow us to talk about anything else,” they said.

However, Sunak is said to be concerned that most of the public are so far unaware of the planned government support package.

This is backed up by polling for The Times today which shows that 52 per cent of the public have either heard nothing or not very much about government policies designed to help them with their fuel bills.

The polling also found that 38 per cent of people believed it was more important to deal with the cost of living crisis even if that meant easing sanctions on Russia.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:18 am

Autumn is going to be way too late. Action needs to be taken now over fuel prices. VAT (and other taxes) could be cut tomorrow. I think there is another agenda here, it's about a lot more than headline prices and inflation.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:26 pm

I don't know about the tattoo parlours but Morrisons was heaving with shoppers this evening at a time when they're usually quiet.

The people in there didn't look particularly needy either? :roll:

Of course, Morrisons were clever and jacked-up their prices prior to Sunak's big benefit handout so they are now raking it in.

It's not so good for those who didn't qualify for the handout though.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:17 pm

More than 8,000 households across Nuneaton and Bedworth yet to claim rebate to help with energy bills

More than £1 million in council tax rebate in Nuneaton and Bedworth remains unclaimed. It was offered by the Government, as an energy grant, to help with the crippling cost of living.

But the Town Hall has revealed that more than £1 million remains unclaimed by eligible householders across the two towns. Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council was allocated a grand total of £7,999,050. covering a total of 53,327 households, in bands A-D.

But 8,431 householders have yet to make a claim for their £150 - leaving £1,264,650 outstanding with the deadline for applications just weeks away.

Councillor Sam Croft, cabinet member for finance and corporate affairs at the Town Hall, urged those who have yet to claim to do so now before the deadline for the main scheme, which ends on September 30.

"It's very encouraging to see that 85 per cent of our eligible council taxpayers have already benefited from the energy rebate scheme to give them some financial help and ease their burdens in these difficult times," he said.

"There's still time to apply, and I would encourage everyone who hasn't yet received a cash payment to get in touch, so that we can provide these £150 rebates directly to all our people who qualify before the scheme closes next month."

Application forms can be filled in online at here

If anyone is struggling to complete the forms they can contact the council via email at energyrebate@nuneatonandbedworth.gov.uk or call 024 7637 6376.

dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News