Anger as team resurfacing towpath spotted throwing loose tarmac into canal

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Anger as team resurfacing towpath spotted throwing loose tarmac into canal

Postby dutchman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:44 pm

The Canal and River Trust said they are investigating

An investigation has been launched after workers resurfacing a canal towpath were spotted throwing loose tarmac into the water.

Work is ongoing to resurface the towpath along the Coventry Canal from Hawkesbury Junction to Priestley’s Bridge.

It’s hoped the improvement works will create a safe, green and easily accessible traffic-free route into the city.

But reader Nik Holmes spotted workers in Longford throwing loose tarmac into the canal while they were working.

He filmed the incident and sent the video to CoventryLive. We showed the video to the Canal and River Trust, which is working with Coventry City Council on the resurfacing project.

The trust condemned the incident and said they will be investigating.

Mr Holmes said: “I couldn’t believe I was seeing a worker just throwing tarmac into the canal when it could have been taken away.

“It amazes me that workers for a Trust that protects rivers and waterways would simply throw scrap into the water.

“And as they’ve worked on a stretch of towpath that’s a few miles long, I hate to think how much tarmac has been thrown in to pollute the canal.”

Tom Greenwood, project manager at the charity, Canal & River Trust, said: “I’m really disappointed to see the video of our contractors throwing loose tarmac into the canal. This is not the standards we expect from our team and we will be fully investigating the incident."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News