Coventry ring road

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Coventry ring road

Postby rebbonk » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:05 am

I stumbled across this and thought some of you might be interested...

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/indepth/coventryringroad/
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Coventry ring road

Postby yourworstnightmare » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:08 am

That was when work was Quality, and you didnt need Bullshit paperwork, Fair play to me old fella he helped build it, and no Qualifications ;)
yourworstnightmare

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:29 pm

The Ring Road as we know it today is not the original!

The original version was a dual carriageway at ground level with a cycle track and roundabouts at junctions instead of ramps or flyovers. (Some of you may remember the roundabout at London Road, the impossibly tight left turn into Whitefriars Street and the stub road which was never completed). It's route was also slightly different from where it is today.

Ringway St John and Ringway St Nicholas were in fact completed to the original design between 1958 and 1960. Work was then halted while traffic studies were carried-out and geological samples taken, but not before some of Coventry's most historic buildings had already been demolished. In the meantime the planning dept withdrew its previous support for a Ring Road, describing it as an "outmoded and outdated concept". They also bemoaned the destruction of so many homes and businesses in the city centre.

External funding considerations intervened and work resumed on a revised Ring Road plan with raised sections and less tight turn-offs than had previously been thought practical.

Original plan is too big to display here. Please click on image to view original size:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby PoundShopPeter » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:45 pm

yourworstnightmare wrote:That was when work was Quality, and you didnt need Bullshit paperwork, Fair play to me old fella he helped build it, and no Qualifications ;)

My old man (god rest his soul) apparently helped with its construction too - from one of Gallifords (?) offices.

It's definitely very Coventry.

Very funny website too. :D
The Coventry Telegraph is the best Newspaper in the world. Honest.
PoundShopPeter

Return to Local History