Tribute to Coventry landlord who would do 'anything for anyone'

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Tribute to Coventry landlord who would do 'anything for anyone'

Postby dutchman » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:52 am

David Tubman was a landlord for The White Bear Pub for 17 years

A Coventry landlord has been described as a 'really kind person' and 'would do anything for anyone' following his sad death on Monday evening March 13.

David Tubman was a well-known face of being a landlord of The White Bear Pub in Willenhall for 17 years between 1990 to 2007 which had a lounge, party room, children's room and an outdoor beer garden. The pub itself closed in 2011, four years after he left.

David, who died at 69, has two kids called Lee and Lisa, and three grandchildren Kacileigh, Brianne and Riley. His granddaughter Kacileigh Tubman, from Coventry but now lives in Dubai, told us of her fond memories spending time with David and her nan Lynn.

The couple lived in Dunsmore Avenue where the pub could be seen from David's bedroom window. Kacileigh said: "I lived with my nan and grandad up until I was 11 before my nan passed away nine years ago.

"The one memory that sticks with me the most is that I had absolutely every toy going and my grandad would go to town everyday to do the banking for the pub," she said. "Nan would shout from the top of the stairs, 'David no more toys'.

Kacileigh said he'd bring more toys everyday and once even came home with a 12 foot swimming pool which was put on the flat roof of the pub.

She added: "His loss has hit us hard -I was very close to my grandad, I got married in August and he gave me away and I am glad I got that time with him. He was 1 of 10 siblings so we are a big family who are hurting right now. He was a bit of a joker, but a really kind person who would do anything for anyone."

A tribute to David was also posted on The Pride of Willenhall Facebook page which has more than 200 comments. Kacileigh said: "The post has lots of comments from people saying how much he did, how genuine he was and how much of a loss it is."

There have been swift comments online about the memories and the impact David had on the locals.

Sharat Desai wrote: "This news has saddened me. Dave was a wonderful character and was especially protective of me, maybe because I was one of the very few Asian customers at the The White Bear in the 1990's to 2010. Whenever I got too mashed, Dave arranged for me to be dropped off to my front door - rest easy now Dave."

Danielle Harding added: "Rest in peace Dave, hold a lot of fond memories of your music room at the bear and spending my childhood amongst the other kids on a weekend."

Kacileigh said: "Back when my grandad had the pub, it was the heart of the community. People said it was like having one big family where everyone sat together and everyone knew each other. It was in a time where anyone would do anything for each other.

"If someone was struggling, they'll say come on down the pub and get a pint or grandad would say don't' worry its on the house. It's a shame that so many pubs are struggling at the moment with the high prices because they do bring people together but it's horrible to see the suffering."

Funeral arrangements have not yet been made, but the family plan to make donations to Parkinson's UK.

"He did have Parkinson's, but he was a very proud man and didn't want people to know and he wouldn't eat in public, but donating to them would mean a lot," Kacileigh said.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Local History