Scala/Odeon Cinema (Far Gosford Street)

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Scala/Odeon Cinema (Far Gosford Street)

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:29 am

The Scala can just be seen far right towering above everything else.

The Scala Cinema was opened in May 1913. Designed by architect T.R.J. Meakin, it had an attractive large arched entrance which was domed inside. The auditorium had seating for 501, all on a single level. It was the first cinema to be operated by Charlie Orr, who went on to build a small local chain. In 1914 a 280 seat circle was added and in 1919 the building was extended to give a total of 1,400 seats.

By 1929 it had been re-named La Scala Cinema. A British Talking Pictures(BTP) sound system was installed and it screened its first ‘talkie’ (silent with music track and sound effects) “Moulin Rouge” starring Olga Tschechowa on 8th April 1929.

In the mid-1930’s the building was modernised. It was given an Art Deco style façade covered with white ceramic tiles and containing a large central window, and a new circle was built, which now gave a total seating capacity for 1,500. It re-opened on 2nd October 1935 with Raymond Massey in “Things to Come” with film star/actress Gracie Fields attending in person.

In 1939 the La Scala Cinema was taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. and was renamed Scala Cinema again. It suffered some bomb damage during World War II, but this was repaired. It was re-named Odeon on 3rd March 1950, presenting Larry Parks in “Jolson Sings Again”. The Odeon was closed by the Rank Organisation on 2nd February 1963 with Patrick MaGoohan in “The Quare Fellow”. The ‘Odeon’ name was transferred to the city’s Gaumont Theatre.

It was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Club. It was damaged by a fire in January 1970 which closed the bingo club. The empty building received further fire damage in December 1972 and it was deemed unsafe, and was demolished in early-1973.

An office block named Scala House now stands on the site.

Contributed by Ken Roe
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Scala/Odeon Cinema (Far Gosford Street)

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:42 am

It actually closed a year before the fire when the rules on gambling were tightened which made the fire all the more suspicious! :tinfoilhat:

As a kid this was our favourite cinema on account of all the war films it showed. It helped that it was also the nearest cinema to our school.

I felt personally betrayed when it was converted to a bingo hall not least because us kids who had been its biggest fans were specifically banned from the building and also I had to walk past it every afternoon on my way home which was a bitter reminder of just how unwelcome we now were.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:57 pm

I don't remember the trams, did they stop running before the war? Yes, it always seemed a warm cinema in winter times. Yeh, I remember Gracie, think it was 42, and was it Dirk Bogarde in The Sea Shall Not Have Them?
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:07 pm

Thinking back to the old days, we were always singing Sally From Our Alley. The family loved her, she was from the musical hall era. She bought the Isle of Capri just before the war and in 1954 I visited the Island. You had to climb about a fifty rocky steps to her house at the top, the views were out of this world. I remember I had to go over on the mail boat, very early morning, the ferry was far to expensive from Sorrento. It was all at the foot of Amalfi.

I think the Gosford swimming pool opened in 1952 just before the railway bridge.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:39 pm

Blitzkid wrote:I don't remember the trams, did they stop running before the war?

They were gradually phased out between 1932 and 1941, the one in the picture closing in 1937.

Blitzkid wrote:and was it Dirk Bogarde in The Sea Shall Not Have Them?

Indeed it was!
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:15 am

thank you dutchman.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:42 am

Wasn't Bogarde the last one to survive in the dingy?

The trams came along Ford St., the Freemasons stopped them from the High St., Earl St., Hertford St. and all points south.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 pm

Blitzkid wrote:Wasn't Bogarde the last one to survive in the dingy?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the plot but if anyone wants to find out I believe the movie is often shown on Talking Pictures TV (free-of-charge) along with other British classic movies.

Blitzkid wrote:The trams came along Ford St.,

Indeed they did and then made a very sharp turn into Far Gosford Street where the kids from All Saints school would line up to watch them overturn. :yellow_grin:

The cinema could also be reached by another tram which served nearby Paynes Lane and was in fact the very last service to end in 1941.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:55 am

Dutchman you are amazing,the first I knew of them turnturtle, Once I had a lift into there a bouts, when I got out of the car the running board fell off, only about a yard from that spot. I think that van in the photo was wilsons?
Blitzkid

Return to Local History