Ultimate tribute to Larry Grayson as Nuneaton development bears his name

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Ultimate tribute to Larry Grayson as Nuneaton development bears his name

Postby dutchman » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:24 pm

His proud family are literally as 'Happy as Larry'

The ultimate tribute has been paid to Nuneaton's most famous adopted son Larry Grayson. Grayson Place is the new name of the huge Abbey Street redevelopment, which includes the new Hampton by Hilton hotel, five screen cinema, multi-story car park and a yet to be revealed leisure attraction and food hall.

The name was given the official seal of approval today by the late TV star's nephew Mike Malyon following a grand unveiling. Larry was a huge star in the 1970s and early 80s and is best remembered for hosting The Generation Game.

He never forgot his roots. And now the town that became his home has recognised that.

"I am absolutely delighted, it is brilliant that after all of this time the town has finally recognised him," Mike said. "We have never had anything to officially recognise him. He came to Nuneaton at nine-weeks-old and he absolutely adored the town.

"He never missed an opportunity, on television or in chat shows, to mention the word 'Nuneaton'. He died 28 years ago, in 1995 and people are still remembering him."

Explaining what his uncle would have thought about 'Grayson Place', he said: "He would have loved it. Years and years ago, when Larry was still famous, someone stood up in a council meeting and said 'We should do something to recognise Larry Grayson, we should name something after him, even if it is an old people's home'.

"A certain person stood up and said 'I don't think we want to be associated with any one of that ilk'. It got back to Larry and he said to me 'Michael, that's it, finished, if the council ever asks me to do anything, I won't' ' and he told me he didn't ever want anything named after him.

"Someone once said to him 'Larry there should be a statue to you in Nuneaton' and he always said 'There already is one, that's me in Newdegate Square with the bonnet on!'" Mike reckons his uncle would have admired the grand designs that are starting to take shape in Nuneaton town centre.

He added: "He would love this project, which includes bars and a space for entertainment and buskers. I could see Larry sat there on a bench with his dog watching it.

"I think he would have been really, really touched with the way it has been done. An entertainments centre in the middle of Nuneaton - he would have loved that. And this now ensures that his name will never be forgotten."

Mike was stunned by the response when the name was announced by Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council leader Kris Wilson in the Town Hall. "People spontaneously applauded, it was wonderful," he said.

It was through a competition with Nuneaton Memories that people were given the chance to put forward names for the development and Cllr Wilson said it was the perfect one. "To me, Larry Grayson is Mr entertainment and Mr Nuneaton, so Grayson Place is the perfect name," he said.

"I am so proud that we have been able to name such an important regeneration project in Nuneaton in his honour." Hoardings bearing Larry's face, famed silhouette and some of his catchphrases now stand in Abbey Street.

There will be a blue plaque in his name within the development once it is complete. Grayson Place is currently under construction with BAM Construct UK and phase one - the new Hampton by Hilton hotel - is set to open early next year.

The next phase of the project will deliver new leisure and culture facilities, including a new five-screen cinema and new multi-storey car park. Replacing the old Co-op site will be a new Liverpool GPO-style food hall and public plaza.

North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College will move into part of the old Co-op site on Abbey Street to create a new digital innovation centre and restaurant. Some of these works are set to be complete in early 2025.

:applause:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Ultimate tribute to Larry Grayson as Nuneaton development bears his name

Postby dutchman » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:34 pm

Traffic-stopping tribute to Larry Grayson spotted in Nuneaton town centre

A traffic-stopping tribute to Larry Grayson has been spotted in Nuneaton town centre. The famed Generation Game host may not have been born in the town, but he is its most famous son.

The huge regeneration plan for part of Abbey Street has been named in his honour, the Grayson Place development. But now another tribute has appeared to him in the town centre - in Coventry Street.

A sign has been spotted on a pole with a speed sign and 'pedestrian only sign' close to the bollards. It is in a red circle with a white line through it and reads: "Shut that Door'.

This is a nod to the comic's famous phrase 'Shut that Door'. It is the latest unusual feature in the area. The red telephone box just yards away was transformed into a Tardis last year before then turning green to promote a pantomime at the Abbey Theatbre.

It is no coincidence that within walking distance is the Grit Arts Central, in a former estate agents. This is new pop-up hub to not only promote the arts, but inspire it too.

The shop and its work ties in with Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council's 'Creative Borough' programme. Part of this is £1.2 million 'Creative Explorers' project to help boost participation in the arts, which Arts Council England and other organisations have given £750,000 towards.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Local History