Coventry History...

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Coventry History...

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:29 pm

We all know that Leofric and Godiva built a great priory in Coventry in 1046, but in the years that followed in a round about way it became annexed to earldom of Cornwall and became the object of Royal favour. Edward III made the city into a corporation, consisting of a mayor, and two bailiffs, the frist mayor was John ward in 1318. In 1451 bestowed on the city a mark of his affection by erecting with considerable districts around into a city and a county and that bailiffs became Sheriffs, and so it was governed by by a mayor, recorder, two sheriffs, ten aldermen, thirty-one superior and twenty-five inferior common council-men. Henry then came to Coventry heard mass in St Michael's church, presented the church with a gown of cloth of gold and then created the first sheriffs.

Two parliaments were held in this great city, the first in the great chamber of the priory. In 1404 by Henry 1V. Not that it consisted of a great number of blockheads than normal inveteracy against the clergy it was called the Laymen’s Parliament.

The other was held in the Chapter house of the priory, in 1459 by Henry VI parliament diabolicum, reason of the multitude of attainers passed against Richard Duke of York and his adherents.

The city was well known for it’s manufacture of cloth, caps and bonnet’s as early as 1436.
Blitzkid

Re: Coventry History...

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:33 pm

Coventry built a leper hospital before the Cathedral, Richard Botoner and Mayor of Coventry Richard Luff paid for the design of the Charter house, 1381 after he and his brother built the Cathedral,1372,
Richard 11 laid the first stone inthe charter house claimed he had thoight of the idea, but he couldn't have laid the ston unless the design was alredy there, 1385---- Charles the first lived in the charter house and the paintings on the wainscot was of Charlie in hunting scenes.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:57 pm

We know that the Romans brought us Roads, hot water systemsand the like, but the Crusaders brought us more of the middle east designs, garden tools etc, but a city was under seige for six-monthsin the kingdom of Jerusalem, so they filled it with wood by huge catapults, then set fire to it, and the immense heat btought the pillars crashing down, and that's what happened to Coventry Cathedral in 1940 in both cases the German race took part.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:10 pm

Going back to the Chateraux (charter House, we know lord Zouche of Northampton was given 14 acres of land on Whitly common in which to build a caruthusian Monastery, but that was the same measurements of a castle in the same design as far as we know, of a large castle, that guarded the pass through the ⛰ mountains in jerusalem kingdom, later turned into a Monastery that makes me think were look-a-like buildings.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:23 pm

The Danish vikings raided our coastal cities every Summer, but would not risk conflict with Roman soldiers, in 54 BC Julius Caesar saw our land, only forests and glades, that were cultivated with stone axes where a palisade or ditch or earthworks circled round houses of timber and thatch. The Romans brought the legacy of ancient culture from the Middle East but in 410 the Emperor Honorius recalled his troops. When the Danish Viking King heard that he built 93 ships, loaded them with 4000 Viking troops and all they needed for a war, he invaded England, fought his way to Coventry and set fire to the hamlets, and by sheer force he became King of England for over 13 years, a lot of his troops remained, and settled here, in a place called Foleshill derived from a Danish word.

But they were pagans, I believe they had a pagan burial site in Foleshill, and many names are Danish, like Arden a wooded area, (the Ardennes in France) A wooded area.

Now in those early days, Coventry had an old church, Laurence of Old Church Road, a beautiful old church enshrined in Medieval times probably before the Cathedral and Trinity church were built. Yes Coventry had a real history of medieval times.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:29 pm

Now Bell Green Road divided the Great Stoke Heath from Little Heath, at Bell Green corner stood red stone rocks, there where no other stones like them as I knew of for miles around, but this had been an ancient farm path that farmers took their produce to Coventry market. It was mostly flat and easy going, so where did these red rocks come from? Now if we follow that path in ancient times, it takes us to the Swanswell a few yards from the Swanswell was the city wall and gate of the Priory, so did in ancient times the farmers bring back surplus stone from the wall and deposit them at the side of the track in one big heap at Bell Green?

The old Manor House stood on top of the hill where Wood End now stands. On the west side of the hill there stood a windmill, a watermill and a church (Old Church). We do not know if this was the site of a pagan church as many Danish Vikings stayed in this area but this old church was of great mystery to me, so much so, that I had to get married in it! Not Longford Church, that I was christened in.

And again an old farm path, from Longford led to the city wall at Bishop's Gate.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:26 pm

IIRC, where those red rocks are the road goes up quite a steep incline into Bell Green? I always thought it was a simple geology feature and the road was cut through the rock?

I'm interested in the old church, Blitzkid. Can you tell us any more about it?

I was christened at St John Fisher, and my brother at St Mary Magdalene, both Wyken.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:45 pm

Do you mean this?
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:37 pm

That looks pretty familiar, Dutchman.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:16 pm

But surely that is a little way down to the entrance of old church road, I don't think that is the church building? I was a best man at a wedding in the hall but the church was some way down from there, the rocks always fascinated me, they did not spread far, seemed solitary, and different from Corley Rocks but at that time, there were no way of finding out about them. The rocks in Radford and down to the River were from the ice age.

The old church, was a small church the entrance was through the tower like building, the doorway could only hold three people wide, about six feet tall with an arc that decreased the further you stepped in. It had a central aisle, outside the pathway led down to the car park, through trees and lawns, but inside looked much older, I believe it had brackets that once had held oil lamps, the entrance seemed more modern. It stood on a mound, the pathways running down away from it. The car park and near houses where built within the last few years.
Blitzkid

Next

Return to Local History