King Street ("New Rents")

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

King Street ("New Rents")

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:36 am

King Street in early Victorian times a very narrow and inconvenient thoroughfare, and was originally outside the city walls. At the commencement of of the century it was known as “New Rents” from several buildings being erected there, the King family of Radford 1675 brought the water from a well near Mr Warden's farm, what was known as King's Orchard, north of the present King Street, by means of large leaden pipes into a stone trough and from there and in a similar manner to the malt-house in Well street. At Radford there was a piece of rock that carried the initials of the family and date. A large boulder and a number of others were found between Radford and Well street, in the early twentieth century when a group of salvation Army wanted to form their first band they asked Geologists not Archaeologist to probe the land, the geologist said the boulders were deposited thereabouts by glacial action. But a few years ago an Archaeology team did a dig, I know not why because it had no real history, it has been under flood from the river since time began. In fact I believe that’s where we got the flax from in ancient days to make the "Coventry Blue”.

Admin note: King Street is now that section of the Ring Road which runs parallel to Lamb Street.
Blitzkid

Re: King Street ("New Rents")

Postby rebbonk » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:48 pm

I didn't know that flax was used for the Coventry blue. - Thank you, Blitzkid. :thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to Local History