Coventry's Blitz Museum to reopen after pandemic closure

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: Coventry's Blitz Museum to reopen after pandemic closure

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:23 pm

Rebbonk,
No , it was half-way along Hall green road, where Wood-End was built in the Fifties, Mr Taylor was a racehorse trainer, I used to visit and had tea with them scores of times. Henley road ran up to the old Coop building from Bell Green. Mr Taylor's horses came from Nettle farm on the Ansty--Brinklow road.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:24 pm

OK, I know where we are. :thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:52 pm

Who ever placed that kitchen cabinet next to sinks and mangle was completely wrong, the boiling water in a wash shed would have ruined the sideboard within Months, and pictures in days. someone should inform the people in charge they have it wrong, this would not have happened in the days before the war, if ever that cabinet did see the war or the blitz, need to know more.?
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:06 am

Dutchman,
The photo above with Kitchen cabinet never saw a bomb in it's Life, that cabinet was sold long after the blitz, late forties and fifties, It's a reproduction model, of cheap white wood to replace bombed furniture temporary, you could buy them in most "UTILITY' stores after the war.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:09 pm

Dutchman hello, hope your well, I never know where to place information. re: the Sherbourne, did you know that Sherbourne Castle in Dorset was built by Sir Walter Raleigh.
That there was a tomb effigy in Coventry's Cathedral, that Coventry built a leper hospital, before it built the Cathedral, that the Cathedral a spiral staircase, that resembled a Muslim Castle, unlike English Castles' the rest was almost a replica of Lichfield Cathedral. There was a palace stood between the Priory and St Michaels and was sold in 1651 for it's materials, for the sum of 100 guineas. the tower was enriched with Saintly figures on the side, an octagon rising out of it that lengthened into a splendid spire. the length of the Cathedral was the same as the height, 303 feet, the width 104 feet the inside was light and lofty, consisting of a body and two aisles, divided by four rows of high pillars and and arches, the roof was of thick oak that was well tarred over the years.
The easy and cheap way to bring it down was by fire in the roof, the immense heat cracked the Pillars, burnt, destroyed the whole of the inside. in Sept 1940.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:19 pm

Blitzkid wrote:Dutchman hello, hope your well?

Yes, thanks! :thumbsup:

Blitzkid wrote:I never know where to place information.

Neither do I sometimes but it's easily moved. :smile:

Blitzkid wrote:re: the Sherbourne, did you know that Sherbourne Castle in Dorset was built by Sir Walter Raleigh?
That there was a tomb effigy in Coventry's Cathedral?

No I didn't Blitzkid, thanks for that! :cheers:

Blitzkid wrote:that Coventry built a leper hospital, before it built the Cathedral?

Yep, in Allesley Old Road although it's often mistaken for the Chapel of St James & St Christopher in Spon Street.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:33 pm

The Cathedral was bombed not by expensive high explosive but by cheap fire lighters call incendiary bombs, a year after the war was declared this was carbon copy of another city that the Germans took part in long, long before modern warfare.

The same with the Chartereaux, (charter house) what is the real History, did it not belong to some other person?
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:52 pm

Then why did they not find someone that knew about the time, both you and I know that cabinet was not from Blitz time, must they keep putting their version and not Historic version?
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:11 pm

Blitzkid wrote:Then why did they not find someone that knew about the time, both you and I know that cabinet was not from Blitz time, must they keep putting their version and not Historic version?

It is like many things, Blitzkid. The truth is not seen as important. Didn't Churchill say that he would be treated well by history because he would write it?

This is why accounts like yours are so important and need capturing. Please don't stop letting us know about your own first-hand experiences.

I'm currently reading a book about how Boris Johnson has destroyed truth in politics, but he couldn't have done it alone. ;)
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:12 pm

REBBONK, From what I have read the people of today have a weird sense about Coventrys blitz and Coventry's ancient History, for twenty years now there has been a forum on Coventry history, but in that twenty years I have seen no mention of Sir Walter Scot's novels, his novels enthralled Coventry for over a century, on ancient history, although Fiction they told our historic background, the council house had coloured windows that told Coventry's history, the councilor that's doing the Make-over does not know that, but he has the opportunity to find out, were the cellars of said building normal bricks, or as I suspect, large blocks of stone from Cathedral times? Bbut to get in touch with him? Oh yes Coventry was there one day, and the next day, gone and the whole culture of the city changed, but modern history books no mention, old postcards show water butts that sold water in the city of 1933/4, the people on the corner of Broadgate, and why they were there? Yes, there are a thousand and one things that was not explained.
Blitzkid

PreviousNext

Return to Local History