Coventry's Blitz Museum to reopen after pandemic closure

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: Coventry's Blitz Museum to reopen after pandemic closure

Postby rebbonk » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:45 pm

:thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:08 am

The black Horse, they are pulling down has no history, only that it is still serving customers over a longer time than most, and it had the fishing rites for the river.

Against the White Lion, that had political, rowdy, enemy fascist type people in the city, owned by a brewery that was hoodwinked by the council, in 1942 the White Lion held a gallery in the pub that was highly dangerous, showing it’s future in the rebuilding of the City. Like we all thought Smithford Street would be re-built, but no.

In 1936 the council did as ordered by the gov’t, it got rid of a lot of slums (Butchers Row) etc. The next stage was Broadgate, but by 1938 Coventry had placed a madman in charge that knocked down more buildings than the Blitz, replaced little of Coventry’s Heritage or History, dismissed the ancient Cathedral and drove quite a huge amount of Coventry residents from the city.

Dutchman I would welcome your thoughts on this.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:15 am

They did such a good job of obliterating Coventry's history I never knew Smithford Street ever existed until I saw pictures of it in The Coventry We Have Lost.

One thing we can't blame Donald Gibson for are the horrendous tower blocks that now deface the city. He was totally opposed to any high rise buildings.

The cathedral could have been rebuilt as it was but the influx of born-again pacifists in the CofE determined that a new one would make a 'statement' about war and peace.

Christchurch could also have been rebuilt but was left a ruin for the same reason.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:03 am

No it’s very old history that I dug up. Plus I had a cousin that lived on Ball Hill, way back in thirties, I think before the Forum cinema was built? The Council was not responsible, it was a Gov’t order to get rid of slums in 1936. I have a feeling that poet’s corner was also a new building in 1936? This was a time that if you wanted to know history no-one was interested, and all the local books and documents before that time were gone with the fire-ball of the Blitz. The class system was in full swing in those days and so there were no trams allowed in that area. Pool Meadow did not open till 1937. Sewell Ave, the Morris works were 1930 time, Trinity Street was 1936. None of these buildings were allowed South of High St.
Blitzkid

Previous

Return to Local History