History of Coventry from pagan times

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: History of Coventry from pagan times

Postby Blitzkid » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:59 am

Rebbonk
Coventry blitz was at least a year after the war started, so everyone had experienced bombings, Coventry Fire brigade knew exactly who to call for help, all over the country we were on standby, the Army were on alert for everything like bomb disposal etc, they were at the gates before the aircraft had hardly left.
The council chiefs of all departments, assessed what needed to be Done. By monday the 18th nov they issued their findings and it appeared on that days local newspaper, this was obviously the first place to look. You will find that report in Dutchmans blitz book. We all witnessed and agreed what was said,.The Army took over where needed. Of all the people the Council thanked the White Lion Hotel was not on the list, they took no part.
yet here certain people told me I was wrong and printed a story that said the white Lion issued cheap food to the ARMY. fetched water from 40 miles away, People that was not within twenty years of the blitz, All districts in Coventry was not affected, Only when about six/seven fire tenders wee at maximum stretch did water supplies cease.
Since I wrote and told them were to look, they now want to debate about it. yes I was eye-witness to it all, and got annoyed, what they wrote pure fiction by the author of the story
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:41 pm

Rebbok
something else no one as mentioned, The signs in the precinct were laid in 1934 to their new restaurant and function rooms etc, I believe they read from left to right-- for a century they had been read from top to bottom, and hung on the Hotel walls, but with the new address of 51 Smithford street they changed their style. and no one knows what 51 looked like, I do not think there is a photo, or anything in the archives, (but I could be wrong) as i have not been there since the Archives opened. Hope you enjoy this mystery.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:00 pm

Thank you, Blitzkid. :thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:45 pm

REBBONK,
Not to me and the Blitz, this was something you could never imagine, and when it stopped of ear breaking noise came the deafness of silence, not a bird in the sky, trams that had once been screeching clanging and people, now at a standstill, crumbling pieces of jagged metal, the skyline, no more than waist high of rubble, with the occasional skeleton pieces of partial Building, it just took a few minutes to adjust to what was before us, and what to adjust to, but it did the opposite to what Hitler thought, that morale would crumble, instead you had the resolve to destroy this monster. for people to be told fiction about the help we received, was an insult to the people that came to our aid.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:32 pm

:thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:39 am

When SAINT BENEDICT Founded Europe's Greatest Monastery at MONTE CASSINO about 7o miles south of ROME in A.D 350 He said everything the community needed had to be provided by the monks themselves from the Monastery. Benedictines were vegetarian but the monastery itself was completely destroyed n March 1944 by German and the allies during the 2nd W.W. but between 350 A.D and 1046 A.D there was plenty time for LEOFRIC and GODIVA to find 24 BENEDICTINE MONKS TO BUILD A MONASTERY IN Coventry---Where the TRINITY CHURCH NOW STANDS Stood a wooden church the beams were covered in silver and jewels.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:01 pm

Lady Godiva lived just south of Liecester with her family but when Knut and his Vikings attacked the Midlands her brothers took her to Chester for safety where they built a knew church with wood and thatch, this the covered the beams with silver and and jewels.
pass by Cook Street Gate and just a little further on was Priory Gate and you had Swanswell Pool that once gave Coventry its water, this did belong to the priory but in the dissolution was purchased by the cooperation from the crown. On an inhabitated house was the name Sherbourne on the site of the priory, Earl and 24 monks Leofric and his Countess about 1043 rebuilt the monastery of wood and thatch they placed here an Abbot and 24 Benedictine monks, endowed it with masses of silver and half the town and 24 Manors. But the dignity was of short duration, for, on the removal of the See of Lichfield to Cov, in 1095, he then robbed the church of all it's wealth and drove the monks mad. At the end of the century a new Norman bishop was installed, a, he was even worse on one debate they hit him with the cross broke his skull. It went to Rome and the Pope expelled them. but there was a Coventry Monk in Rome pleading with the so pope. on his deathbed, he forgave them all but Henryv111, the monks
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:05 pm

Henry the V.111 Levelled the Priory to the ground. end of Coventry Priory.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:26 am

When SAINT BENEDICT founded Europe's first great Monastery at MONTE CASSINO about 70 miles south of ROME in A.D.530 he declared that everything the community needed had to be provided by the monks themselves so they could live without help from anyone else. When Leofric was looking for workers to rebuild his wood and thatch church erased by Knut, King of Vikings he found 24 Benedict Monks to rebuild the new Priory in Coventry.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:50 pm

there was no reason they did not read the report of the councils findings of the blitz, but that they did not do'
Blitzkid

PreviousNext

Return to Local History