History of Coventry from pagan times

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

History of Coventry from pagan times

Postby Blitzkid » Sun May 08, 2022 10:56 am

Before BC the world was all Pagan, but the roman Legions captured the Middle East, and over the centuries captured Europe including England, they executed Christ, brought his Disciple's to Rome and executed them, including ST Peter. 64 A.D. By 313 A.D the Emperor Constantine had fully recognized Christianity and started to build a Christian Church in 324 and the tomb of ST Peter placed a the centre of the apse
While the Roman legions where in England no one dare oppose them so the Norwegians and Danes Vikings would only raid our shores on the Coast, But when the Romans left England, CNut (Canute to you) gathered a great force and Conquered England, becoming it's king by sheer force and destroying Coventry Priory and most else.
But Leofric wealthy land owner was educated the Roman system, IN Chester, the main Roman city in England Spoke and read the Latin of the day, one of the top four men In England, he was also a great Diplomat, he was asked by Rome to rebuild the Priory, re-educate Canute from Pagan to Christian. (in 1952 I travelled to the Vatican to confirm this, my certificate of Pilgrim from Jerusalem opened many doors ) and yes I was told that was correct. I loved Rome, and the Vatican part I was allowed to see was out of this world, (The Coliseum and other buildings cost me nothing in those days) (I latched on to tourist parties to hear the history)
Chester was the main Garrison town in England for the Romans, and Chester Racecourse is like no other in England, (round/Oval course )
Blitzkid

Re: History of Coventry from pagan times

Postby rebbonk » Sun May 08, 2022 3:43 pm

:thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Mon May 09, 2022 11:22 am

Dutchman, I think you know me if you have my e-mail no
please drop me a line
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Thu May 12, 2022 9:58 am

But the pagan gods will never leave us,

Tuesday-- after the pagan war god TIW Payments of tribute to ROME,---PETERS PENCE
The word Penny came from.
This was learnt in Coventry schools in the thirty's.
The Path of the pagan Gods led from the sea to the top of AMALFI Mountain
I walked in the 1950,'s
Wednesday-----------------WODEN GOD
THURSDAY-- THOR OF THUNDER GOD
Fri--- Frig Godess of fertility
EASTER was named after a Heathen Godess
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Thu May 12, 2022 10:36 am

The above did not come out the way I wrote it.

But the legacy of the Roman Presence in Britain was Christianity, Came to Britain about750 AD ---- a mixture of Christian and Pagan motifs and beliefs and tributes were paid to Augustine 597---When the Romans left the Vikings devastated Europe and again Pagan came in, and so did Leofric and Countess Godiva.

there were remains of a Roman village in Bagington, and a Roman wall and gate was found at Gosford Green in Victorian times. six feet deep.
Roman Coins as well as old English coins were found when they refurbished the Prudential building in the Cathedrals Churchyard in 1936, and a Roman wall was exposed by German bombers in London. The Romans, brought frescoes, sculpture, and Mosaic.

Pevensy
the Sussex castle, the landing place of William the Conquerer 1066, the outer walls were Roman the ruins are Norman.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Tue May 31, 2022 11:41 am

The word COVENTRY is PAGAN brought by the Vikings Coventry was built on ten hills in the middle of the ARDEN ( viking word) forest, COVEN was more than one witch, in a clearing in the trees, it could'nt have been clearer in the year 1043.

Dutchman I need a FAVOUR, the school teacher BELUSHI I was about to tell her about Mass Observation when I was rudely cut off, any chance you could forward my E-MAIL number please.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:23 am

Blitzkid wrote:Dutchman I need a FAVOUR, the school teacher BELUSHI I was about to tell her about Mass Observation when I was rudely cut off, any chance you could forward my E-MAIL number please.

Done that! :thumbsup:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Blitzkid » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:36 pm

Dutchman
Don't know if you remember but I posted about the wooden Knaves post about three years ago. I know longer trust Cov Historic forum as a neutral source of information -- alternative voices have been silenced, can you trust it to give a reliable point of view I was banned because they would not look at the reliable report of the Midland Daily Telegraph of 18th Nov 1940 of the councils view of the Blitz, they are self- serving and comically one sided. I find it difficult to understand the errors. As inventive fiction OK but as History;

NO HISTORY OF CATHEDRAL only Photo. NO history of building of the corner of Hale/Bishop st. NO History of St Johns church, the list is endless.
Blitzkid

Postby dutchman » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:52 pm

I haven't followed the Historic Coventry Forum for a very long time so can't comment on its current content. I am mostly only interested in the immediate pre-war/post-war period anyway. Likewise Eindhoven where my dad's family come from.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:39 pm

Blitzkid wrote:...they would not look at the reliable report of the Midland Daily Telegraph of 18th Nov 1940 of the councils view of the Blitz,

Not wishing to comment about HC, could I ask for a little more information about this, as it intrigues me. Do you think you could point me in the direction of where I might view that report or maybe provide your memories of it?

Blitzkid wrote:...they are self- serving and comically one sided. I find it difficult to understand the errors.

In life, it is often difficult to remain truly impartial and unbiased. We are all guilty of seeking information to back us up whilst conveniently ignoring information that doesn't support us. It is also very difficult for many people to admit that they made a mistake and backtrack, never mind apologise.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Next

Return to Local History