Legend of Blitzkid

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: The post-war photography of Richard Sadler...

Postby rebbonk » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:36 pm

Blitzkid wrote:The photographs in the MDT book Cov blitz, taken on the night of the blitz had to wait 8 years before they could be published.

Would this be for security and morale purposes, Blitzkid?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: The post-war photography of Richard Sadler...

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:10 am

This was the secret service act by the Gov't,They clamped down hard on what could be printed, so no any enemy could get info, they even got rid of street names for a while, and this was for a further15 years after the war ended, so most of the books or papers were held back, the BBc printed about the Blitz and Churchill went mad, went round and tore them off a strip, it made the Coventry people look as if they were about to give in, the secret service act, did not disclose things till about the seventies, the story of 1000 yanks getting killed by British fire on a devon beach was one.secret service controlled our Newspapers what they could say and what not they could print.. This is why I keep saying, stories during the war were highly banned. only they gave permission whether a story helped us or the enemy, of course there were some stories that were released if it helped us to deceive them. and it started in the first W.W.
Blitzkid

Re: Legend of Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:34 am

The carmelite building built after the first Crusade built 1099 the brotherhood resided here, they guarded Pilgrims From the old port of jaffa to Jerusalem.

The old Jerusalem wall.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:31 pm

:thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing those, Blitzkid.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:49 pm

Hitler came to power declared that Germany was now a Fascist state, and closed all masonic lodges, imprisoned leading Masonic leaders and Freemasons.

The brewery owned number 50 Smithford street, they bought next door number 51, rebuilt it as modern Hotel with Kitchens and Restaurant a bar, a Function room and live in staff rooms. they also refurbished No 50 adding glass bay windows on the second floor, making it the Landlord Lounge.
They put a central staircase to connect all rooms. with glass bay windows they could no longer use their advert sign's that hung downwards, so fitted a new set that read from left to right and sunk them in the pavement (see Precinct)
They opened the twin Hotel, and the new formed British Fascist party took over the function room, for nearly six years they incensed the free mason's of Coventry, and there were much trouble on the streets.
1939 and the leaders of the British fascist party were imprisoned for the duration of the war.
1940 the twin hotel took several direct hit's, completely eradicated number 51 and made number 50 unsafe to the public.
and that was it, no photographs, no newspaper reports, six years of Coventry rowdiest pub lost to history, unless someone can tell me different?
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:14 pm

Blitzkid wrote:...unless someone can tell me different?

I can't Blitzkid. I'm learning from what you're passing my way. :thumbs-up:

Merry Christmas to you.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:04 pm

Merry Christmas to all and best wishes, the red cross on a white background represented the blood that Christ shed for all mankind.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:23 am

THE CHARTREUX (CHARTER HOUSE) OF COVENTRY

This religious house was the intentions of William Lord Zouch of Harringworth of Northamptonshire, in 1381 when he obtained 14 acres of land he wanted to erect a Monastery for Carthusians and endow it with donations, but he died soon after before it could be built. He left £50 for it's future, other people stepped in The Mayor of Coventry and Richard Bottoner who built Coventry Cathedral gave 400 Marks (a mark was 16s six pence) others followed. Richard II assumed he was the founder 1385 after this it obtained considerable endowments.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:32 pm

The Blitz and Longford

A Swarm of German bombers crossed the Channel, by-passed London and headed to the Midlands, following the ribbon of the canal but as they reached the lochs of Hillmorton one peeled away, took a circular route, dropped height came low across the corner of Ansty Airfield and was now facing the canal and Railway, to try and destroy both he had only span of about thirty yards in which to fly, he did it beautifully, his first bomb overshot the canal bank by abut a yard, his fourth bomb hit the railway fence two yards short of the track itself just outside Shilton station. It was a brilliant piece of bombing, when you see the undulations of the fields. but there was no defence to bother him. This was Aug 1940.

Sept 14th 1940 another swarm of aircraft crossed the channel and headed for the midlands, but this time, again a lone aircraft left the pack at Hillmorton, but crossed over the canal, kept it in his sight's on his left side and dropped his height, only this time it was the Longford power station his target, made his bombing run, and this time he had a large ack-ack gun on his left and also a pom-pom gun was below him as he made his bombing run, the Road T-junction came in sight, he released his stick of bombs, the first missed the T-junction by about ten yards, it hit my Uncle's cottage, square on, demolished it completely and both my relatives vanished. The second and third bombs hit the coal fields that fed the station, as the sirens wailed, but the fourth bomb was smack on, hit the Oxford canal towpath at Sutton Stop, drained the canal for about a mile, a waterfall cascaded into the fields below and the Power station were put out of action for several days, no water for the cooling Towers, all this under duress from the gunfire. The H.E bomb that hit my relative cottage was the first bomb to strike the city in the Blitz. I was eye-witness to both actions.

In June 1945, as the war was finished, bomber command opened it's doors to we airborne for an open day, look round and a flight in a Lancaster bomber, six men to be shown the working of such, straight away there was a rush to see the bomb-aimers 'pit'. By the time we had circled over the channel and headed for the midlands the rush was over and so I had a bird's eye view of the torn city of my own town of Coventry.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:09 pm

Thanks for that, Blitzkid. :thumbsup:
rebbonk

PreviousNext

Return to Local History