Legend of Blitzkid

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: Legend of Blitz-kid

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:41 am

Rebbonk,

No I was back in civvy street then, I know they had dark glasses and it was thought too close But?

What does come to mind, the first Atom bombs seem to catch the British by surprise, they were Loading ships to go the far East and had to switch them to the Middle East. But the Canadians and American troops seemed to think it would be first come first served regarding Ships allocation.

A large troop train of Americans pulled into Euston Station at the same time a large train load of Canadians, this started the biggest 'Punch-up of all time" then about fifty American Military police tried to control the scene. five minutes later a British military train pulled in the British M.P's lined the Platform over hailers, "Now hear this no one is allowed to leave this train' remain seated" and kept repeating the message. We sat there for nearly an hour glued to the windows, watching the fight, then a big yank M.P with Hailer roared "Now hear this, any one on this Station in dishevelled uniform will be sent to the rear of the shipping list", after a few times it got through to the troops and order was restored.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:56 am

When de-mob was about to start at the end of V.E day, millions of people clamoured to be returned to their homes, the Brits and the French got together, to save time going round the bay of Biscay the troop ships went to the Sth France, and then by train and ferry, the LIAP way, it lasted about two years. trains going the other way of replacements, or POW returning to Europe. A few months ago I had never been out of Coventry, now I was sailing away from the white cliffs to unknown places, the deep Blue Med, the mountains, the warm sun, I swore one day I would return, and so I did, a score of times.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:11 pm

Thanks Blitzkid. :thumbsup:

It's something everyone seems to forget, that after a war there are thousands (millions?) of displaced people that need to return home, assuming that they want to.

Something else that people seem to forget is that armies can only fight if they have supplies. The logistics are as important as those on the frontline.

Care to share your thoughts/experiences about these things?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Sun May 01, 2022 10:37 am

Rebbonk
I can tell many stories, but we had a new officer, first morning had us in his office, Platoon of 12, "said, you can see I am straight from Sandhurst, and I want you old hand veterans to teach me the ropes, that's best for all of us. He was a red headed kid 19years of age, six months older than myself. this really surprised the old hands for they had bad officer for the last six-months. First he dismissed a charge of dirty cap badge by the old guy, he then said make no mistake about this I am going to the very top of the tree, or as near as possible. He was a great guy, I came home never went back, forgot the Army.

Oct 1984 and the Grand Hotel was bombed, by the IRA, I went to take a look and there was Maggie Thatcher kicking the rubble about and talking to no other than Ginger, my old mate from 37 years ago, His name was - Nigel Bagnell he was no longer second LT he was at the very top of the tree. (Unbelievable)
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Sun May 01, 2022 2:31 pm

:thumbsup:
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Tue May 10, 2022 11:21 am

When the last Post is blown, and the last volley fired
When the last sod is thrown, and the last foe retired,
And the bivouac is made under the ground--
Soldier, sleep sound. 1876.
A.D 980 two years into the reign of King Ethelred11, the Vikings fell on Southampton, it was a generation since these sea-borne raiders had prowled the English shores. Alfred the great Army was but a memory.--Maldon near Southampton was the English Mint but East-Saxons thwarted the Viking raid, and for three years they brooded their loss.----For Saxons and Vikings heroic fighting and Heroic drinking. --there were many battles.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Tue May 10, 2022 12:13 pm

That is a really sad verse, but incredibly poignant.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Tue May 10, 2022 4:35 pm

Rebbonk,
ours was a near suicide squad, there were little chance of you coming back, About a hundred men went to blow up a Dam in Italy, a great success, but Italian women tracked them through the mountains (to rendezvous of British submarine,) then informed the Germans, captured and shot.
If the unit knew there was an imminent operation then they slept with ammunition, weapons, grenades, mines under their beds, ready for the 'off.'
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Tue May 10, 2022 8:51 pm

:thumbsup:

Blitzkid, I've mixed with many ex-forces personnel; many have a sense of humour best described as 'black'. Few from 'civvy' street will understand that humour, or even take the time to try to understand it.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Wed May 11, 2022 11:20 am

REBBONK,
That's true, the picture of me on Cannes beach was not put on by me, but by my son, but from my Biography I wrote when I was 83m , the lovely French girl that took the photo, was wearing the same amount of clothes that I wearing, so not included. it was an unspoilt place in those days, a few miles beyond that beach the English actress? from "All creatures Great and small" had bought a small Vineyard that I visited, in later years. throughout my travels I stayed in Priory's, Hostels, cheap Hotels, some were clean, others not so.

In January 1950, wanting to still live an exciting life, I had a couple of trials at Brandon Speedway, (I still have the insurance documents) absolutely useless, but filthy from the dust of the track I was amazed to find they had no shower room, this led to an argument with Bob Fletcher red haired (Captain) I kicked his bike on him, and that was the end of that, but I was flirting with a girl whose little kid brother was a nuisance, but he grew up to be a top name at Brandon. All of this is absolutely true.
Blitzkid

PreviousNext

Return to Local History