Legend of Blitzkid

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Re: Legend of Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:24 pm

Some where someone asked about ‘Tusses Bridge’ @tusses Bridge was built in 1936 in the then ‘Hawkesbury Lane’ so was the slough Hawkesbury pool and the collieres Hawkesbury pits, the railway to the mines were Hawkesbury line and so was the little school on the corner of lentons lane Hawkesbury school--- --at the same tine the whole village lost there front gardens, and water and sewage came to the village and all had to pay Council Rates. No more did we have to rely on the water pump for water. It was 1939 when they built the opposite side of the field to the now aldermans green road, this was after they had already built the big artillery gun in that same field.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:21 pm

On VE day May 1945 the SAS reg't was abandonded, so was the glider pilot reg't glider troops, the airfield in the New Forest and much more, but with cold war looming the SAS was restarted and training began again in 1947. During those two years the SAS came back to the Parachute Reg't and most became instructors and taught me their methods, dirty tricks etc., street-fighting behind the enemy lines etc. It was a help in the Race gangs wars of the fifties.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:39 pm

:thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:54 am

During the 2nd WW the Parachute reg’t did not take civilians into their reg’t, they only took military trained persons/men, thereby cutting out training of military squad bashing etc, and straight into action-type soldiers. Each day they were judged on their performance by an NCO and those that failed the tests were sent back to their parent reg’t immediately. By the end of their three month course they were reduced by about 60% of the intake.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:20 pm

I wasn't aware of the Blitzkid. Please keep these details coming. :thumbsup:
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:51 pm

Early 1945 the Marines were trained at Deal in Kent, I was trained at Shorncliffe-Folkestone, we all met on the London Bridge train. For several months the Marines talked of this tunnel, so after the war 1949 I searched this tunnel, it was still in fair condition, but it was not my kind of war, I trained to destroy these places, but it was claimed to be a success, but the channel was used by German E-boats, U-boats and the like, an E-boat was even in the disastrous Slapton Sands fiasco in 43. SO? Was It?

Despite what's been written about it, it was thought about in the late 30’s but by the time it was built and operational it was out of date, the threat of invasion had passed, there wasn’t one bullet or bomb aimed at that tunnel, it was the safest shelter in Britain, had it been attacked at ground level, then the occupants would have 120 steps to climb Half -a -doz grenades would have rendered it useless. Only dozen guards looked after all its exits, it was the first place to be disbanded on VE day, only the essential bits were moved, the tunnel was left to rot. But for the last three years of the war it was a soft, safe posting if you were chosen to work in it.
Blitzkid

Postby Blitzkid » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:22 pm

further to this tunnel, at the time this bunker was built it was a hillside full of sheep,and they kept any shoots of vegetation from growing so the entrance was quiet clear, it only held around 60 persons where as Churchill's bunker in London could hold 500.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:05 pm

:thumbsup: Thanks, Blitzkid. Please keep these little snippets coming.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:05 am

The failed Dieppe raid of 1942.
David Niven (Film Star) captain in the S.O.E was sent along as Observer on this raid. His words I won't repeat.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:32 am

I always find it hard to believe that David Niven was SOE.

Mind you, I worked with a large group of ex-WW2 commandos. Normally, you'd never believe any of them were from that background, most were very quiet and extremely polite. But you'd not want to pick a fight with them!
rebbonk

PreviousNext

Return to Local History