Memories of Bedworth

Pictures, maps, memories and stories

Memories of Bedworth

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:09 am

A man walked into the 'Hit and Miss' pub Bedworth in 1950 after a few month of giving it a miss, he had a few pints then needed a leak, he walked out the door across to the waste land on the opposite side of the street, as all men had done for years, it was very dark, he stood by a wall. A light flashed in his face, a big hand on his shoulder, Right I'm a copper, and your nicked. A few weeks later the story in the telegraph, the council had just built a toilet this was the first day of it being opened and he got caught.

Lord Oaksey (Jockey) was riding a horse i had bet on, enough money to take me back to Italy if it won, He came into the straight well clear and I was thinking of Italian History and where I should visit, he had only one fence to jump well clear, and he puled the horse up, for no reason, cantered back, met the second horse, by the time he realised and got it started again he came second, the crowd booed.
His excuse he coudn't see another horse, he thought he had taken the wrong course.
Blitzkid

Re: Memories of Bedworth

Postby Blitzkid » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:19 am

I was living in Bedworth early part of 1950,
I was having a quiet drink in the 'Hit and Miss' pub, a bottle of Pale Ale in my Hand, Three guys walked in well sloshed, two where twins, about six feet tall and abut sixteen stone each I could see they where looking for trouble, they stopped in front of me,, I smiled, slid the top of the bottle into my hand, I said to the third Hello Cec, he looked, I hadn't seen him for some years, we had been to school together when small 'Hi' he turned to the twins, 'no not him, he fight's Les Allen' I relaxed, he was going back a good ten years. we talked a few minutes. This was Bedworth 1950's Jack Hacket (Lentons Lane) had also moved to Bedworth and became a Councillor.
Blitzkid

Postby rebbonk » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:13 pm

Memories like this are priceless, Blitzkid. Please keep sharing. :thumbsup:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Blitzkid » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:57 am

I sat on the race coach at a racetrack, after the fifth race I had backed what I wanted and won at the end of the sixth race a Bedworth hairdresser that I new Got on the coach and sat behind me, as the bus pulled out of the car park for home, the man was livid, tears, welled in his eyes, his fists closed, swore and said, impossible, shaking his head he then said "you can't believe what I have just done, I have just lost Two hundred quid, shaking his head all the time, I had a losing day so I backed the fav in the last race to get it all back, the fav flashed by the post locked with the another horse, so I put my last remaining fifteen quid on the other horse at six to one, the fav won the race, the other horse objected and got the race so I thought at least I've got half my money back, but the bookie said I had backed the horse in a photo and it had lost the photo. You can't answer a guy by that he should have known the rules..
Blitzkid

Return to Local History